Nineteen

"You look nice," Rob muttered, staring at Erin as she walked from the elevator to meet him. She was in a red silk dress with spaghetti straps that went to mid-thigh. She paired it with silver heels that made her legs look long and her hair was down and curled over one shoulder to help hide the forming bruise from the seatbelt when Rob had slammed on in the car.

"Thank you. You look smart," Erin brushed his blazer shoulders off. He was wearing a black tux with a red pocket square, his dark hair left curly but tidier than usual.

"Why are you even having a prom?" he asked.

"The chief's niece has cancer and is going to die, soon, so this is her goodbye prom, I guess," Erin said. He nodded, following her towards the elevator.

"How old is she?"

"Seventeen."

"That's shit."

"Yeah."

The elevator beeped as they reached the prom and they stepped out, walking through the hallway towards the area. Addison was stood near the front and smiled at Erin.

"Hey, how did everything go with Doc?" she asked.

"Oh, uh, we left after you did. I couldn't watch it," Erin said.

"Is this because-"

"Yeah, please don't talk about it," Erin said quickly. Addison nodded.

"Talk about what?" Rob said.

"Addison and I lost a patient a few days ago," Erin lied.

"You didn't tell me that," he said.

"If I told you every patient we lost, you'd call us murderers instead of doctors," Erin muttered. He flashed a fake smile at Addison.

"Come on. Let's dance," he said.

"See you, Addie," Erin said.

"You look beautiful, by the way," Addison called after her. Erin smiled weakly, looking back at Rob.

"You didn't tell me," he said stiffly, wrapping his arms around her waist. She put hers around his neck.

"I know. I don't like talking about patients dying, never mind babies dying. Addison's a neonatal doctor so we work with babies. Nobody likes hearing about dead babies," Erin said. He winced.

"Yeah, not my kind of thing," he said.

"Exactly," Erin said.

"Meredith's here with the vet," Rob said. Erin turned, seeing they were dancing a few feet away. She nodded at Meredith and she nodded back. Erin turned back to Rob, seeing Derek and Addison dancing over his shoulder. Derek was staring at Meredith.

Erin watched as Derek whispered something to Addison, stepping away and disappearing through the crowd. Erin spun around, seeing he was running after Meredith, though Addison and Finn didn't know.

"What's going on with them?" Rob said.

"I have no idea," Erin whispered.

"Come on. This is boring. Let's blow it off," he smirked.

"I can't leave. If I leave, my ass is toast," Erin said.

"We aren't leaving. We're just taking a break," he said. She sighed but let him lead her after Derek and Meredith, out of the prom, down a hallway and into an empty practise room.

He locked the door and leaned in, kissing her firmly.

"Rob, I'm not going to have sex with you here. Not at my job," Erin pulled away.