Chapter 29: The Trouble With Human Beings (Part One)

Any smart person would know from my mom's stern voice, consequential tone and non shifting eyes that she had found out something. Something serious. Something that for once even I couldn't pinpoint thanks to the look on her face. 

With a low gulp, my lips pursed together as I wait for her to continue. But she doesn't and just stands there with folded arms making me more intimidated by the second. So I decide to finally speak up.

"I'm really sorry, mom. It wasn't my intention to well -  I know I'm in trouble, but-" I pause when mom's eyebrows furrow in confusion and after studying my face for a few seconds she bursts out in a fit of laughter. 

Gabby beside me who is confused as I am then asks, "Mom, are you feeling okay?"

Our mother then regained a calm structure then let out little sigh "You're not in trouble, Cerise." 

At those words I let out a sigh of relief before she speaks again "You didn't tell me you were into art!" She says, pulling me into a huge bear hug that I struggle to breath in.

"You-You never asked." I say through the hug which came out more muffled than expected. She then releases me and still is observing me with that motherly smile on her face.

"Is this really the way I was suppose to find out? Through Aubrey." She shakes her head side to side in a ''this won't do'' manner.

"Aubrey?" I say and mom nods.

"She told me she entered you into the competition." She says all perky as she enters the kitchen with Gabby and I following behind, "Even showed me some of your drawings ." She adds

"So that's who entered me." I sigh drowsily and rub my temple. 

Dear Big Guy In The Sky, 

Haven't I had enough for one week?

Yours Truly, Cerise Brookes.

Without anymore words in my system,  enriched with exhaustion I make my way upstairs.

*

The Next Morning my mind was fuzzy, the last remnants of a dream being chased away by the realization that I was awake again. It was a nice dream, something about sitting in a big oak tree in meadow full of flowers but the details are fading fast even as I try to recall them. With a mental sigh I allow my brain to focus and cautiously open one eye.

The bright sunlight cuts the room in half and I see dust-motes dancing in the wall of light. I pull the duvet up over my head to keep it out. It's not going to work, my brain is awake now and already worrying about how the day would go which seeing that I was me meant horrible.

"Cerise. Psst- Have you seen where mom put my hairbrush?" The voice asked me causing me to open fully the other eye. 

A blurry Aubrey that smells like marshmallow conditioner kneels down beside my bed. I extend my right arm out to retrieve my glasses. After slipping them on I look at her to address her question.

"No. But I do have a question for you." I say, sitting up. 

She lets out a groan and I realize she's already ready for school which I am not. 

"Why did you enter me into the art competition?"

Aubrey bites her lip and her eyes stray all over the room in guilt. 

"Aubrey."

"Fine. Okay, I'm guessing mom told you." She says, getting off of her knees to tower over me since I'm still sitting on my soft bed that I wish I could get back to.

"She did. You know mom was never good at keeping secrets" I remind her and she nods knowingly.

"It's just - I was just really thankful for the advice you gave me in the past and...decided to repay you back. You're really good, Cerise. And you shouldn't have to hide your art."

I drop my determined shoulders and recognize that what she's saying is not only unlike her, but true. 

"Thank you." I say and she nods slowly before leaving the room.

   The ride to school was two syllables : Awkward. Bianca had called me this morning volunteering to let she and Byron give me a ride to school. I hadn't accepted it which I was shortly regretting. I took the bus alone instead which was the worse mistake I could ever make.

   Kelly hadn't taken the bus since she had her mom's van again. I could have called her if she hadn't  went so early. The amount of paper balls thrown at my head should have been a record in the Guinness Book Of World Records. 

    As another hit the back of my head I took one glance at Aubrey who looked hesitant at first. I knew she was contemplating whether to help me or not.

"Knock it off, David!" She said to one of the guys who was readying the crumpled piece of paper in his hand.Everyone was silent - which was new - watching attentively.

 David was obviously taken back a little, but didn't let her words phase him. A small smirk found it's way to his lips and he asked "Since when do you care?"

     Aubrey's cheeks flushed a cherry red and her eyes fell into her lap, - figuratively speaking -. She was gathering her words. "How old are you? Three?" She looked up now. "Give the girl a break. She's my sister for crying out loud."

    David chuckled.  "Guys, I think we better stop. She's getting emotional now." And I think he was right. It looked as if she wanted to cry, but if I knew Aubrey better she wouldn't.  She  gave him a shove in the shoulder and flipped him off. The bus ride continued from there. 

Destination - hell.