Nine - More Suitors

'Two dances? With a duke?' Hyacinth exclaimed, raising an eyebrow at her mother in marvel as she sat with her brother Gregory at the table, surrounded by snacks.

'He was quite taken with your sister, Hyacinth. The entire party was, for that matter. All eyes were on Daphne.' She told proudly, looking over her shoulder at Daphne, who was playing the piano. There was a pause as Lady Bridgerton turned her attention to me, 'And Elizabeth danced with none other than Lord Harrington.'

I raised an eyebrow at her statement. I knew nothing of Lord Harrington's character and therefore could not decipher whether our dance was a good or bad thing.

'At least enjoy some toast, dearest.' Lady Bridgerton offered her daughter as she was playing the piano.

'Are you certain the entire party was not simply eyeing a tear in her dress?' Colin aimed at his sister.

'Or a misstep she took on the dance floor?' Benedict added mockingly.

Ignoring the two, Lady Bridgerton continued, 'I do wonder, Daphne, might we count on the Duke at the Crawford Ball?'

'I should think it a fair chance.' Daphne responded dismissively, focussed on the piano.

'What about the Ramsbury Ball, Friday? And what about the grand picnic?' Her mother pestered.

'We shall see, Mama.' It was evident from her tone that Daphne was growing irritated by her mothers persistent questions.

I wondered why Daphne did not seem so enthused by the Duke's attention.

'How does a lady come to be with child?' Eloise ran into the room, flustered. Daphne quickly stopped playing and all eyes landed on the young brunette in the centre of the room.

'Eloise, what a question!' Lady Bridgerton rose from her seat and hastily made her way toward Eloise.

'I thought one needed to be married.' Eloise continued, searching for answers.

I took a moment to think about what she was asking, as the others began discussing the situation. I was baffled. How did one come to be with child? I thought to myself.

'Apparently, it's not even a requirement,' Eloise jested, flapping her arms up into the air.

'Eloise, that is enough.' Her mother scolded. Eloise's expression instantly dropped and she wandered over to the sofas to sit down next to me, opposite her two brothers.

'Daphne, you were playing so lovely. Please, do go on.'

'I take it the two of you know?' Eloise addressed her brothers.

'Do not look at me.' Benedict said, avoiding both mine and Eloise's stares.

'Have you ever visited a farm, El?' Colin joked receiving a smack on the back of his head from his brother. Eloise simply groaned, accepting the fact no one was going to enlighten her on the subject.

'I hope you are not encouraging improper topics of conversation.' Their mother warned, glaring at the pair.

'Not at all mother...'