Prologue

Chi's mother and father are gone. The rest of the travelers gave up. Only Kai and Chi are still standing, alive. Never had she thought that she would lose this many people in her life.

The siblings trudged through the vast desert seeing nothing else but endless sand. Seeing a spark of hope when we saw a little bit of green on the tan floor. Hoping it would be a cactus Kai jogged until reaching his destination. Chi close behind him.

Kai screamed happily, "Chi! There is a good supply of cactus here!" You might think that 'Was cactus all he could find?', yes, they starved for weeks. Finding a cactus was like finding some food that will keep you alive when you're practically half dead.

Chi finally reached where Kai was standing. We carried all the supply of food we had and brought it to our camp. We drank some water and ate some of the meat from the plant. Night came, Kai said that he was still hungry so he said he would eat some more cactus meat. Kai ate and ate until he was on his last one he was going to eat for the week.

Kai chewed until he felt this extremely large thorn in his throat piercing his skin. He thrashed around, arms flailing in the air. Chi tried her best to save him but the thorn just didn't budge. Kai gradually slowed down, his movements weaker and weaker until Kai leaned back eyes staring at the starry sky.

Eyes glazed he leaned back and rasped, "Stay strong for me Chi. Follow the flow of the river." With that, Kai's eyes became dull, not having the shine in them anymore. His heartbeat got slower, and slower, and slower, until it stopped completely. The desert was quiet except for the painful sobs Chi made.