71 ; the egg and the riddles

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 2 : SCENE 1 : CHAPTER 71

"Nott! Zabini! Pay Attention!"

Professor Snape's irritated voice cracked like a whip through the Potions class on Thursday, and Y/N and Daphne smirked as the two boys jumped and looked up. They had been setting up Y/N's mini Ironbelly against several potion ingredients ranging from dead spiders to unicorn hair, silently cheering every time it had set something on fire.

"Now that Nott and Zabini have been kind enough to act their age," said Professor Snape, with a sharp look at the pair of them as Y/N scooped her Ironbelly into her hand and placed it on her shoulder, "I have something to say to you all.

"The Yule Ball is approaching – a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. The ball will be open only to fourth years and above – although you may invite a younger student if you wish," he said, as the class broke out into excited mutters and whispers. Y/N herself was interested, and a tiny part of her hoped that Draco would ask. She doubted it, though – he was far too arrogant and probably assumed she was going with him. "Ballroom attire will be worn, and the ball itself will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then –"

Professor Snape stared deliberately around the class.

"The Yule Ball is a chance for us all to let our hair down," he said in a disapproving voice.

Y/N giggled to herself, imagining what Professor Snape would look like with his hair pinned half-way back, with pretty barrettes around his cold face –

"But that does NOT mean," he went on, "that we will be relaxing the standards of behavior we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Slytherin student embarrasses the school in any way."

The bell rang, and there was the usual scuffle of activity as everyone packed their bags and swung them onto their shoulders.

Professor Snape called above the nose, "Missus Grace – a word, if you please."

Assuming he wanted the key to the abandoned classroom back, Y/N fumbled with her lanyard as she proceeded briskly to the teacher's desk. Professor Snape waited until the rest of the class had gone, and then said, "Miss Grace, the champions and their partners traditionally open the ball. I assume you've got someone in mind?"

He was hinting towards Draco.

"If he asks me," Y/N muttered, before piping up. "Yes, sir – I do."

"Good," he said, and waved her off.

Y/N had never known so many people to put their names down to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas; for the last two years she did (and had to this year), but she had always been very much in the minority before now. This year, however, everyone in the fourth year and above seemed to be staying, and they all seemed to Y/N to be obsessed with the coming ball – and she could understand why. She herself had starred in a ball, for her coronation, and she couldn't help but smile as all the girls either giggled and whispered in the corridors, shrieked with laughter as boys passed, or excitedly compared notes on what they were going to wear on Christmas day.