CH 33- As Expected

Adelaine POV-

Seeing Nate moving to go outside, I quickly jump in his way and put my hands on his chest, stopping his movement. 

"No. Nate, you can't do anything to him." I say quickly.

"And why the hell not? That bastard deserves to be six feet under for what he put you through." He growls out. 

"He's my uncle. You can't just kill him. Plus, you'll go to jail. No way am I letting that happen." I answer sternly. 

He looks down at me and I take a small step backwards because the look in his eyes is pure rage. I know he wouldn't hurt me, but he's not thinking rationally right now. He must see my slight fear because he takes a few calming breaths and scrubs his hands down his face. 

"Fine, but then we need to call the police." He says.

"No." I reply sternly.

"No? Jesus Lainey. The man beat you to a pulp and put a bloody fucking pig on my door step to try and scare you. He needs to be reported." Nate says, getting frustrated again.

"I said no." I repeat, even more stern. 

 I can see the anger and frustration come back into his face as he turns around and walks to the other side of the living room. I follow behind him, but not too closely. 

"Lainey, he's right. That jackass needs to be behind bars." A very angry Tank pipes in.

"It's not going to happen, Johnny." I say back to him.

"God damnit Lainey. Listen to yourself. You're really going to stand here and protect that worthless piece of shit?" Nate whips around, looking really angry. 

"I'm not protecting him. I'm protecting us. I call the police, then they call CPS. That means my siblings and I get separated. That's not an option." I say, anger lacing my own words. 

"So what? You're just going to let your uncle beat you up for the rest of your life?" He asks with a glare.

"No. I just have to hold out until I'm 18, then I'll get legal custody of my siblings and we can get away from him."

"Hold out? Adelaine, are you hearing yourself right now? This isn't just some person you don't want to be around. He's abusing you." Nate states, raising his voice on the last part. 

"Nate. Just listen to her side of the story. She's in a tough spot." Candace says in a soft voice. She's moved to stand next to Keith and his soothingly rubbing his arm. Nate's angry eyes whip around to face her. 

"You don't get to talk Candace. You knew and didn't think to tell me? What, you thought that her situation wasn't as bad as your little anti-romance thing?" Nate asks angrily.

I let out a small gasp at his words while Candace recoils as if he slapped her. I watch Keith's face go an angry shade of red before he's stepping toe to toe with Nathan.

"Shut the hell up right now Nathan. I get what you're going through but you don't get to talk to my girl like that. Ever. Unless you want to end up flat on your ass." Keith growls out.

"I'd like to see you try, Walker." Nate spits back. Noticing that this is going to end bad, I quickly squeeze myself in between the two giants, while Mouse grabs Keith to pull him back. Tank steps in to push Nate back towards the kitchen island. 

"You need to calm down, brother. This shit isn't about you." He says in a low voice. Nate just pushes him out of the way and gives him a glare. 

"The fuck it's not. My girl just told me the man, who is supposed to be her guardian, is beating the shit out of her and all you cowards want to do is just sit back and allow her not to report him." Nate growls out. I walk over to him and get into his space, no longer caring about his angry gaze.