(Redone) Chapter 3

4:00 AM.

You slowly open your eyes and groan. All of the pillows you tried to make a blanket with have fallen on the ground next to you.

You stand up and try to remember what happened yesterday. Box... Proto.. Gen..

That weird thing Dad gave you is upstairs, tucked in your bed. Something better not have happened up there.

Not wanting to risk anything, you slowly walk upstairs to check if anything changed.

She's still sleeping. But she tossed and turned a lot, because the covers on your bed got crumpled up like paper. And she has a worried look on her face, like she's having a bad dream.

You're hesitant on waking her up. It's too early anyway. You walk back downstairs, planning to make some breakfast.

You turn on a light and crack an egg into a pan.

You take a deep breath in and sigh, staring at the sizzling food.

Finally. No more school. Now I'll be stuck in this house for another 3 months, without Dad. He never tells me the truth. Am I really going to believe he'll be back? No, I'm not.

And that protogen... She...

She's just some fake friend created by corrupt businessmen! Does he think that will fix everything?

NO! IT WON'T! HE ONLY CARES.. about... Himself.

Without realizing, you slammed your fist into the counter.

"Ow...." You groan, shaking the pain out of your hand. Trying your best to soothe yourself, you hear footsteps coming from above you.

Looking behind, the protogen is standing at the bottom of the stairs.

"Good morning, Y/N." She says to you with a cheerful voice.

"Hey." You reply, turning off the burner.

She walks to you and notices the egg sitting on your plate.

"You could have just asked me to make you something!" She laughs.

"I can make food by myself." You say, sitting down and beginning to eat your meal.

She stops talking and stands next to you. You eat silently without saying anything else.

"So... Do you want to do something?" She asks you.

"No." You reply with an angry tone, disposing of the plate.

"Okay.." She frowns and lowers her head.

"Actually, I do want to do something!" You reply with a hint of snark. "Stay there, in that chair. When I come back, you can get up."

"Okay!" Her ears perk up and she sits perfectly still, with a wide smile.

"Great." You exclaim as you slam the back door shut.

Peering through the door's window to make sure she isn't looking at you, you slide down the wall and groan.

Ugh.. What's her deal? She can't take a hint. I'll always be alone.

You bury your face in your hands.

She's just some FREAK anyway. I don't need freaks. I don't need anybody.

You look up at the trees in the dark blue sky.

I'm better off by myself.

Suddenly, you notice a clearing between the trees that leads to a nice spot. There! Then I can get some peace.

You step down from the back patio, slowly walking to the path. But something interrupts you.

"Y/N?" You hear the protogen's voice from behind you.

"What is it? I thought I told you to stay in that chair." You order, not even looking at her.

"Where are you going?" She tells you, completely ignoring your question.

"Away." You again start walking into the forest. Your view slowly shifts from dimly lit grass, to towering black trees encircling you. Every step you take, you hear a loud crunching of leaves.

You use the faint glow of the sky as a guiding light to show you the way to the spot. After a few seconds of slow, peaceful walking, the sound of leaves being crushed echo behind you.

You turn around to see the protogen's visor, the only thing shining in the dark, following you.

"Can I come with you?" Her soft voice asks.

Great. She's ruining my privacy. But.. Man, I can't say no...

"Ugh, fine. Follow me." You command.

You turn around and continue walking, but the protogen suddenly grabs your hand tight.

"Huh?" You look behind to see what she's trying to do.

Just smiling, eagerly waiting to go. Nothing else.

With her paw wrapped around your hand, you keep going onwards until you and her finally reach a clearing at the end of the path.

There it is. The lake. Shining a deep blue in the dark sky, surrounded by tall trees. Just as you remembered it.

You guided the protogen to the dock, stretching out into the lake. You and her sit down at the edge, your feet almost touching the surface of the lake.

"Does it look nice?" You ask her, staring at your reflection in the water.

She stares at her own reflection in the water, before shrieking and backing away.

"Huh?" You get up and look at her, confused.

"What am I?!" She screams, looking at her paws in horror.

"You're.." You try and remember what she said, when you first met her. "A Protogen, created by Wondertech..."

"No, I'm a monster!" She frantically touches her visor, before trying to pull it off.

"What are you doing?!" You walk up to her, and try to calm her down.

But she just pushes you aside, and keeps trying to hurt herself.

"I'm wrong! I'M SO WRONG!" Her virtual eyes fill up with tears as she pulls even harder, causing sparks to fly everywhere.

HOLY SHIT! I NEED TO DO SOMETHING, RIGHT NOW!

You run up to her at full speed and slam the power switch as fast as you can.

Her eyes widen as her visor fades to black.

She crumbles next to you.

"Oh my god..." You say to yourself. You stare at her body.

The Sun slowly rises, shining rays on the lake.

"This is all my fault." You mutter.

Using all of your strength, you heave up her heavy body on your back, and slowly walk back home.

You aren't wrong...

- - -

Jesus, i got pretty carried away doing that. She isn't dead BTW.

Sorry that these take so long to make, im bad at concentrating on stuff.

thanks for reading!