x. the mourning after

chapter 10 - the mourning after

"How are you, my sister?" Lexa wondered, as she entered Dakota's chambers. It was only an hour or so after the incident in the throne room, but the heavy tension still lingered in the atmosphere after the actions that Kota had displayed.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?" She quirked, looking up at her sister for a moment, before drawing her attention back to the journal in her hands. "Someone tried to kill you today, Lexa. How are you so calm?"

Instead of answering the girl, Lexa only walked closer to her and quickly pulled the journal out of her grasp. "What are you drawing this time?" She smiled teasingly, before her eyes actually caught the graphite on the page.

There in Lexa's hands, was none other than a portrait of herself. One that was sketched with such skill and precision, that it surely made her pleasantly surprised. The drawing showcased her with the famous war-paint she always adorned as the Commander, however that's not what she focused on. Really, what made her slightly tear up was the words in the corner of the page.

 Really, what made her slightly tear up was the words in the corner of the page

(Credit goes to Becca Rehmet on Pinterest. I just added the special effects.)

Kota had titled the sketch "My Strisis" [Sister], which really made Lexa's eyes well up with tears. Of course, it was no surprise that they had been calling each other that ever since their relationship rekindled. However, seeing it written on paper, while in such a moment of calmness, really made her appreciate it more.

She was Dakota's sister.

There were absolutely no words to describe how proud she was to bare that title. That privilege. It was something that she held closer to her heart more than she did her own name.

"It's not finished yet..." Kota mumbled, shyly. Suddenly insecure to have her sister observe one of her most treasured works. It might've been unknown to Lexa, but Dakota really did look up to her. She admired her in every way, shape, and form. How did she get so lucky to share her blood with such a wonderful warrior like Lexa? What did she do to deserve the honor of calling her strisis? Family? She might never find out how it came to be, but she was grateful nonetheless.