S3 E2: Nature VS Nurture

Edited January 2, 2022
***
My mom sighed upon my arrival to Miguel's room, like she was thankful for my entry at that exact moment in time.

"Miguel?" my eyes watered when my brother looked back at me. "Oh God, please tell me this is real,"

"It's- it's real," he replied.

I rushed over to him, hugging him carefully. "Oh thank you, thank you." I said. My mom smiled at the reunion, and she left the room to give us some space. "Miggy, I never said it back," I cried.

"W-what?" he asked.

"I was going to, but we walked away from each other to fast, and I--"

"M-mila--"

"I love you. You're the best brother in the whole world. The amount of pain that this all brought me...I never want to ever see you hurt again--"

"I know. I heard you," he said, and I smiled. Every time I was talking to him when he was in a coma, he heard. "Yo-your scar," he said. I touched my face.

"Yeah, it's pretty ugly, right?" I asked.

"No. B-badass," he smirked. I grinned.

My stitches healed, and the scar on my face was still pretty red. It looked like I'd been attacked by a bear. That should be the story I tell people. It sounds cooler than the real story. 'Oh, yeah, I was beaten with brass knuckles!' Who wants to hear that? It makes me sound like a pussy.

"How are you?" my brother asked, and for a second I wanted to strangle him for asking me how I was when he's the one sitting in a hospital bed.

"Fine," I shrugged. "Now," I added. He smiled.

"No, Mila. How are you?" he asked again. I sighed.

"I don't know. I mean, the image of you...and her, I just...I can't even drive by the school without feeling sick," I told him, honestly. Miguel looked at my hands which were clasped together, as I played with my rings. He looked up at my face, as if he caught my slight understatement. "Okay, I can't even look at the school, let alone my scar without going into full panic attack mode." I looked down.

Miguel grabbed my hand, although it was a bit difficult for him to move. I noticed his strength wasn't the best at the moment, so I held his hand instead.

"Camila, the doctor wants to give Miguel a small check-up. Why don't you head home for today, eh?" mom asked, entering the room. I smiled, and nodded.

"Love you, Miggy," I kissed his head, and he smiled, softly.

"I love you, too. And uh, do me a favor? Text that boy," he chuckled. I blushed.

"Yeah, whatever." I laughed.

*

When I got home, YaYa was in the kitchen, cooking so much food. My mouth watered as soon as I walked inside. She had a big smile on her face and she spun around to see me.

"Mi ángel! Cómo está tu hermano?" she asked, and I smiled. (my angel! how is your brother?)

"Es bueno, YaYa," I replied. (he's good,YaYa)

"Y tú?" she asked, and I sighed. (and you)

"Estoy colgando allí" I told her, receiving a small frown. (I'm hanging in there.)

After speaking to my grandmother a little longer, I checked my phone, to text Vinnie, only to find out that my phone needed a charge. I sighed, before deciding to actually go and see him. It was the least I could do.