Chapter Nine: The Training

Chapter Nine: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖙𝖗𝖆𝖎𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌.
word count; 4.4k

 Your little crew trekked quietly through the dense greenery of Sorgan without uttering a single word along the way. Calmly, your gaze trailed along the countless trees, shrubs, bushes, and grass down your path, eyes probing around for the slightest sign of said raiders invading the village. To your left was the Alderaanian woman who'd agreed to assist you with this mission—Cara Dune. Then, to your right, was Mando. The insistent sounds of everyone's boots crunching onto the dirt beneath it was the loudest thing audible, yet your ears seemingly concentrated on the natural noises of the forests—the birds singing their songs in the distance, leaves rustling against the wind, distinct whistles, chirps, and grunts from various harmless creatures wandering by your group. Admittedly, it was quite relaxing.

Here, you felt wholly tranquil. As if you'd ultimately located your serenity. Still, there was a certain sense of unease and anxiety—which you assumed was a result of not recognizing exactly what you were going up against with these pestering thieves. Sure, you'd made a promise to these villagers that you'd protect and defend their homes from these raiders. But that didn't necessarily signify that you would be capable of completing this little quest. Unfortunately, not all promises could be kept. You were still in the process of figuring out whether or not this would be possible for you.

Setting that matter aside—after a few hours residing on Sorgan, you definitely knew that this place was completely ideal to support the life of the Child. Hopefully, these raiders would be dealt with quickly so you and the Mandalorian could ultimately make a decision—leave the baby here or not. You were going to miss the little womprat, as Mando would frequently call him. All that time spent caring, feeding, lulling him to sleep was cause for you to become easily attached to the bugger. But you recognized this was a decision that needed to be made—because if you'd allowed him to tag along on your bounty hunts, you'd be placing him in the line of danger. And that was if Mando even allowed you to keep him for yourself. Even if he took the Child, then his life would of course be in peril anyway.

There really was no other option—it was necessary for the Child to remain here, in the safety of Sorgan, so he could live a normal and serene life. It was what was in his best interest. Besides, you were definitely welcomed here as well. Occasional visits were not prohibited.

Your thoughts were interfered with when Mando came to a sudden halt. His visor wandered around the ground with, as he'd told you previously, his heat-detector toggled on. With that setting activated, he'd be able to spot recent tracks in the dirt.

"You found something?" You questioned, shifting your gaze to meet with what you hoped were his own eyes.

He'd swiftly nodded in response, before pressing various buttons on the vambrace encasing his forearm. Seconds later, he'd lifted a gloved finger out ahead of you. "About fifteen or twenty of them came here on foot." Then, you followed his finger as he guided your vision upwards towards a bunch of split branches stuck in the high altitudes of the trees. "And something big seared off those branches."