14

"Why didn't you tell me it was this sad?"

"I did tell you it was that sad, baby."

"so that's it? It ends there?" Mateo cries.

"It ends with them." I nod and he sobs.

We spent the whole day reading and Mateo just finished "It Ends With Us". I didn't think he was gonna cry. that is until he closed the book.

He immediately broke down and started ranting about everything that happened. Now he's crying on my bare shoulder.

"I'll never do that to you, ok? Never ever ever." Mateo looks up at me, eyes red and watery.

"I know. I know how you get when you're angry." I take his glasses off his face and wipe his eyes.

"I was rooting for him. He was a good person, but shitty at the same time." his eyes look so focused. "I'm never reading a book you give me to read again. I hate you for that."

I chuckle, brushing his hair back.

"Is this another book I bought you?" he asks, looking at that book in my hand.

"yes. It's good," I answer.

The book is about a Nigerian girl who hooks up with a white man and falls pregnant with his child. The only thing is that he wants a relationship with her, but she would be going against her promises to her parents about marrying a Nigerian man.

This is the second book I've read today. The other book was short so I was able to get it done.

"my parents are coming up," Mateo tells sitting up.

I put my book down and we get up to get dressed.

"Hello?" we hear Elena call out.

Mateo throws on his shirt before we make our way out of the room.

we walk downstairs to the kitchen to see Elena already setting up ingredients to cook.

"Mija!" she exclaims walking over to me and engulfing me in a hug.

"wow, so I don't exist? Hurt." Mateo sniffles.

"shut up." Elena hits him before hugging him.

"where's Papa and Zay?" he asks.

"they're on their way up. Zay had to pee." Elena examines Mateo "were you crying?"

"Yeah. I just read a sad book." he slowly hugs Elena

"we read all day." I tell her trying not to laugh.

"you got him to read an actual book?" Elena asks with wide eyes, still holding her son. I nod with wide eyes too.

"papa's never hurt you right?" Mateo suddenly asks.

"no, mijo." Elena shakes her head.

"Mateo I doubt your dad has ever hurt your mom in that way" he turns to me and hugs me.