Mysterious Michaels

Chapter Eight

"Come on love, don't do that here."

The voice was soft, just like the fingers that curled under my armpits and lifted me from the floor. My legs couldn't hold me, and I ended up pulled into his side for support as I slumped over. Mind reeling with too many thoughts to focus on, my skin was prickling with goose bumps as my stomach twisted and I gagged.

This wasn't right. This couldn't be happening to me. How could they be gone? Lifting my head was a struggle as my eyes glazed over the room. There had been machines around the beds, their little bodies had left sweat stains. It couldn't have been a dream. Damon's wet cough echoed in my ears and I shuddered.

How could this happen?

"Something isn't right here," one man mused. Footsteps padded around the room, but my gaze focused on nothing. Butterflies tumbled in my stomach and their wings fluttered up my throat, I hiccupped. Chest heaving, I struggled to gather air. Heat pooled in my lungs and gasping, I hunched over. What's happening to me? My eyes continued to bleed out salty tears and I panted, yet I couldn't gain enough breath.

"Hush, love, it's ok. We'll find them," that soothing voice coiled around me. It tried to embed itself in my mind and ease the agony that was assaulting me, yet it failed. My shoulders curled inward, rising up to press against my neck and shield myself from his words.

What had I done? Why had I left? Idiot! You idiot, Alyssa!

Jerking away from him, I stumbled and pressed against the window. My fingers rapidly tapped the screen as they trembled, and I clenched my fists. Head bowed, I banged it on the glass. They were here? Nurses and doctors saw to-.

"Doctor Jarros."

His name was a breath on my lips before I was twisting away and dashing out of the room. Voices cried out to me as the door slammed shut, sealing them away. I was down the stairs and whirling through the halls to get to the nurse's station.

The young nurse jumped and spilt coffee onto her shirt when I smashed into the counter. She cursed, yanking her shirt from her skin as the stain spread.

"Where is Dr. Jarros?!"

"Excuse me?!" she snapped back as she dabbed at the dark patch with a cloth. Her brows furrowed as she scowled from me to the mark.

"I'm sorry but please tell me where Dr. Jarros is!"

Other patrons looked up from where they waited as my voice hitched. I knew what they saw, a hysterical woman, shivering at the counter with ragged curly hair and unsteady glasses.

It's a wonder the crazy ward hadn't been called yet, I mused.

"I don't know who that is. We don't have a Dr. Jarros on roster," she sighed, her thoughts no doubt melding with mine as her voice took on that low, customer-service tone. Giving up on her uniform, she leant forward and tapped on her keyboard.

"He works here. I spoke to him earlier about my sons!"

"And your sons are?"

"Damon and Ryan Gracer. They were admitted this morning for severe illness symptoms. They were rushed to isolation I think," I gushed out, leaning over the counter to watch as she searched up their names.

*No Patients Matching That Name Present Currently*

"I'm sorry, but are you sure you're at the correct hospital?"

My eyes were glued to the screen declaring that my sons were never admitted. My head grew woozy and I slumped slightly on the counter, my fingers clenching around the edge. "That doesn't..."