𝐈𝐕.𝐕𝐈

ACCORDS

Darla sat beside both Wanda and Mateo. Mateo held Darla's hand in his as they looked up to the Secretary of State.

"Five years ago I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing." Secretary Ross said as he showed them the golfing position he was in.

Steve looked over to the girl, she was sat opposite him, two seats down. It felt strange that she wasn't beside him. But after yesterday, he wasn't surprised that she hadn't even looked at him let alone uttered a word to him.

Part of him thought he was in the wrong for raising his voice and telling Darla that Mateo needed to leave. But she wasn't there, she hadn't seen what he was like.

"Turned out it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass I found something 40 years in the Army had her taught me." He paused. "Perspective."

Darla rolled her eyes and looked towards Tony, he didn't seem to be impressed with the group. The blonde girl tried to offer him a small supportive smile, but she didn't get one in return.

She wondered if she had done something wrong, but she knew better than that. She knew he was upset about the results of Lagos.

"The world owes the Avengers an unplayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives but should a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word 'vigilantes.'"

"What word would you use, Mr Secretary?" Natasha questioned speaking up. Darla chuckled and waited for the older man's response.

"How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will where ever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

Secretary Ross turned on the projector and stood beside the map that was now showing. Each place they had been too had a yellow dot over it.

"New York." He played a clip of the time they fought the Chitauri. The Hulk was jumping from building to building, smashing every place in sight, while men, woman and children all ran away screaming. "Washington, D.C." He continued to play the bombs dropping and once again people were running away, screaming. "Sokovia." He showed one of their most recent battles.

Darla couldn't help but look towards Steve, that was where she kissed him. She had noticed his clenched jaw as he looked towards the screen.

Steve looked towards the girl, who quickly looked away from him. That was when he noticed the unshed tears in her eyes. He wanted to so badly go and comfort her. To tell her that all would be okay and that he would protect her no matter what.

"Lagos." He played the building that the bomb had gone off in as well as the medical team escorting out the dead and injured. Darla noticed Wanda's discomfort.

"That's enough." Darla said as she drained the projector off it's power and placed her hand on Wanda's shoulder. She had hoped that it would bring the girl a slight comfort. Wanda placed her hand over Darla's. The red head appreciated the blonde and everything she did for her.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate." Secretary Ross took a long pause. "But I think we have a solution. The Sokovia Accords." He placed a book down in front of Wanda. "Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organisation."

Darla grabbed the book from Wanda and looked flicked through the pages. She looked up to Tony, who averted his eye contact with the girl at all cost. That was when she knew, not everyone would agree with the accords that the Secretary wanted them to sign.

"Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel only when and if that panel seems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safe place." Steve spoke up. "I feel we've done that."

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Secretary Ross questioned, making Steve look up to him. "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences."

"Beg my pardon, sir, but the difference is, they're not nukes." She paused. "They're not bombs that could kill everyone. They are just people." Darla narrowed her eyes at the man. "You're just scared of them because they're a little bit different to you." Her eyes flickered up to the Secretary. "That's the issue with everyone in this world, when they see someone different to them, they isolate them. They try to shut them out. Nobody said anything when we all separated the first time, so why now? Why is it such a bi-"

"Darla." Tony cut the girl off, noticing a few of the lights flickering. Darla let out a small breath before shuffling closer to Mateo. She hadn't even realised that she was getting angrier.

"Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." Secretary Ross continued, completely ignoring Darla's question, which only angered the girl more.

"So, there are contingencies." Rhodey said as he placed his hand down on the book.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna, to ratify the Accords. Talk it over." The Secretary said as he went to walk away.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha questioned, tilting her head slightly.

"Then you retire." Secretary Ross informed the group. Darla scoffed as the man walked out of the room.