|02|

- Lucifer -

"Is dinner really necessary sir?"

"Of course it is. I want my daughter to be comfortable with you before you start following her around everywhere," he replied, a hint of anger evident in his tone, and I internally groaned in annoyance. 

"7 p.m it is then," I sighed. 

"Good, see you soon," and with that, he hung up. 

I threw my phone on my bed and ran my fingers through my messy hair frustratingly. I stood up and made my way to the bathroom, stripping completely, throwing my clothes in the dirty hamper and entering the shower. As the luke-warm water ran down my body, I leaned my forehead against the tiled walls, closing my eyes at the satisfactory feeling. 

I'm Lucifer Alistair, 27 years old. 

I've been working as a bodyguard for Mr Hamilton for years now, but as of today, I'm his daughter's full-time bodyguard. More like a fucking babysitter. The only reason I accepted his offer is because he said he was willing to pay 50K per month, way more than I was previously making as a bodyguard for his warehouses. 

I need the money more than anything

I want to move to another country, I haven't decided yet, but I'd rather live anywhere else but New York. This place holds bad memories. Bad, bad memories. Memories that I want to leave in my past. I want to start fresh, have a clean, new slate, but I can't do that when I'm constantly reminded of my past everywhere I go, so I must leave. 

I haven't been able to since I can't afford to just pack up my shit and leave, so hopefully, after working for Dante's daughter for about a year, I'll have a good amount of money to quit the job, move somewhere else and find a new job elsewhere. 

It was the one thing keeping me going at this point

It's not like I'm struggling in terms of finance. I have a good sized apartment, all to myself, a nice car, but that doesn't matter when I'm fucking miserable every day. 

I dread waking up in the morning. I dread seeing people's faces. I dread working. I dread walking down the same streets everyday. I dread communicating with people. I dread everything. 

I have nobody 

I'm all alone

I'm surrounded by people daily, yet I'm all alone

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, I like being alone, but to have the people I once had would make me so much happier. 

The people I once had

I loved them more than anything

I valued them more than I valued my own life

And what do they do?

They fucking leave me

Betray me

Stab me in the back 

It was me, my mother, my father and little brother. 

We were once a happy family. 

That was until my father's company went bankrupt. He went through a downward spiral after that, drinking and taking every drug he could get his hand on. My mother was no different. I was around 14 when it happened. My little brother was 9. I started working from that age just to help my family out. I worked at the local cafe, library, grocery store, you name it, I worked there. I worked so much that finding time to focus on my education was a fucking mission.