𝐈𝐕.𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

PEGGY

Darla walked into the church once everyone else had left. She saw that Steve was still inside. The blonde had told Natasha to wait for her and that she wouldn't be long. The two had decided they wanted to be of some support to Steve through his hard time. Despite Mateo saying that it was probably a bad idea.

The blonde walked towards Steve slowly, her heels clinking against the ground, making him turn and face her.

Once Steve realised it was only Darla, he let his guard down and leant against the pew.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone." Steve spoke up, his eyes not leaving the photo of Peggy. "Then I found out she was alive. I was just lucky to have her."

Darla smiled back softly.

"She was lucky to have you too." She whispered as she stopped in front of him.

"Who else signed it?" Steve questioned cutting straight to the point. He didn't really care who signed it, he just wanted to know which side Darla was on.

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision," Darla paused. "And Mateo." Steve rolled his eyes at his name.

"Natasha? Clint?" Steve questioned.

"Nat's not signed yet and Clint said he's retired." Darla chuckled, she certainly missed the man.

"Wanda?" Steve raised his brow.

"Not yet." Darla paused. "And I don't think she will."

"What about you?" Steve questioned standing up straight and taking a step closer to the girl.

Darla let go of the deep breath and linked their hands together. She was still so mad at him. But part of her couldn't keep away.

"I'm Switzerland." She chuckled. "I don't agree." She ran her thumb over his swollen knuckles, expecting him to wince but he didn't.

She looked up at Steve through her lashes and brought his hand up to her lips, placing a soft kiss on his bruises.

"Please don't sign it, baby." Steve whispered softly. It broke Darla's heart to hear him so broken.

"Nat and I are off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room of the jet." She smiled up to him, hoping he would come with them. Steve let out a long sigh. "Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path." She stepped closer to the man. "Staying together is more important than how we stay together right?"

"But what are we giving up to do it?" Steve questioned, allowing himself a moment of weakness to let his eyes flicker down to her lips. It was an action that didn't go unnoticed by Darla. "I'm sorry, baby, I can't sign it."

"I know." She whispered back, her cheeks burning red.

"Then what are you doing here?" Steve questioned. He had thought that Tony had sent her to convince him to sign the accords.

"I didn't exactly want you to be alone." Darla admitted, before her wrapped her arms around his torso. Steve buried his head into the crook of the girls neck. He held onto her as tightly as he possibly could.

"I don't want you to sign it, Darla, I don't want us to be on opposite sides." Steve whispered, pulling away from the girl ever so slightly and resting his head against hers.

"Steve I-"

"Please, baby." He begged. His eyes filled with tears. Darla stepped away from the man with furrowed brows.

"Why do you call me that?" She questioned, curiosity finally getting the better of her.

"Because you're the baby of the group." Steve lied. A blush had formed on his cheeks, that was a question he wasn't ever expecting he would have to answer.

Darla chuckle and shook her head. Steve was a terrible liar, but she didn't tell him that.

"Not any more, Wanda's the baby now, you should start calling it her." Darla grinned, knowing that she was getting under his skin.

"No, no." Steve shook his head, trying to think of something to say. He eventually gave up trying to think of a lie. "I think you know why." Darla sadly smile.

"It seems we keep missing each other, Captain." She whispered, her hand cupping his cheek and her thumb running along his cheek bones. Steve nuzzled closer to the girls palm.

"I'd hold out forever and a day for you, Baby." Steve reassured the girl.

"You still don't like him do you?" Darla questioned, along her hand to drop beside her.

Steve chuckled and shook his head. He didn't like Mateo because he didn't trust him. Not with the way he treat everyone else but Darla.

"No, I can't say I do." Steve responded honestly. "I don't trust him. Something-something isn't right."