Chapter Twenty-Six

Together Emma and Ruby lift the portrait off the ground and carefully line it up with the hooks that Emma placed around her living room.

"Jeez, these suckers are heavy," Ruby gripes, for the fifth time to be exact, but Emma doesn't say a word, thankful that her friend has been helping her all afternoon. "Did they have to be so huge? They are as tall as me."

"That's the point, Rubes," Emma mumbles, focusing on lining the frame just right. "There," she breathes and then very slowly takes a step back, in sync with her best friend.

"We did it."

"We did," she mindlessly confirms while her eyes study the last piece to her collection.

Pride swells in her chest, filling with warmth and expanding like a balloon, however, she's slightly nervous that Regina is going to reject the idea and pop all her hopes and dreams.

"Next time though, call a professional mover."

"They need to be that big, they should be the first thing your eye is drawn to when you walk into the room. The center focus. They should steal your attention along with your breath. Nothing else should matter, the world should slowly fade away and you should feel like you're being absorbed into the picture," Emma delicately explains, her mind, body, and soul feeling as though she's being transported in time to the night this art was created.

Ruby tilts her head to the side in consideration and hums. "I mean she does steal my attention and I definitely feel like I'm in the moment with her," she confesses as Emma nods along slowly. "You're one lucky woman, Ems."

"I know," she agrees in a far off tone that is the definition of daydreaming.

"Can you make me the one you have in your bedroom?"

This snaps Emma right out of her tranquil thoughts and urges her to shove her best friend as hard as she can. Yet, Ruby simply laughs, loud and bubbly and Emma is reminded why she loves this woman so much.

"That's for my eyes only."

"Unless Regina agrees," Ruby counters with a hint of amusement.

"Unless Regina agrees," she repeats with a firm nod.

"And technically I already saw it," her friend teases, earning herself another shove, this time it's toward the door, so Emma can prepare for the evening ahead.

"I think you outstayed your welcome."

"Alright, alright," Ruby chuckles with her hands up in surrender. "What time does Regina's flight land?" She inquires as they walk toward the door together.

"Five o'clock," Emma answers, running her fingers through her hair.

"You're nervous."

"I know."

"Don't be," Ruby flippantly states, bending down to slip into her fur boots. "She's going to love them, Ems. I promise. They are stunning."

Emma glances back, peeking over her shoulder to the enormous portraits hanging side by side in her living room. Warmth instantly spreads through her heart and disperses through her veins to heat her body up. She's so damn proud. No matter the outcome, she's so proud of herself.

"Ems."

"Huh?" She whirls around to discover her best friend's green eyes glowing with love.

"You're amazing. Try and relax, okay? It's just Regina."

She exhales like she's been holding her breath since her friend first stepped into her apartment. "I know, but I've only seen her once in the past month and it's her birthday and then with all this," she gestures wildly at the artwork decorating her background.