Chapter 12

"I can't believe this. You are kidding me, right?" I ask mom irritated. "I never lied to you, Sofia. I only kept some information for myself, that's all." Mom admits. "But why? Why haven't you told me a year ago? And why can't you tell me more?" I question her with balded fists. I'm fuming at the moment. Not because of my mother's secrets, but because he wrapped her around his finger. How can she trust him, knowing what he did to me?

"I can't dear. He specifically asked me not to. Now he's here, I know for sure he'll tell you the truth." Mom informs me, brushing my arm gently. "The truth huh," I murmured through gritted teeth. Mom nods patiently, kissing my forehead lovingly. "I'll listen to what he wants to tell me, but nothing more," I tell firmly. "Of course," Mom smiles warmly. The noise of a ringing sound startled us. Mom quickly vanishes downstairs by hearing her phone.

I let myself fall on the bed, a big sigh escaping me. "After seven years of waiting, you suddenly are ready to tell me the truth," I whisper angrily to myself. This is fucking absurd, and it makes me even angrier he had contacted my mother a year ago. He needs to talk to me, not pulling her on his side. It's not fair of him, nor respectful to me. Seeing that smug face in the car, smelling his perfume made me even angrier. And the worst part is, he didn't say a word to me. He only talked with my mother, ignoring me to the fullest. It's driving me insane not knowing what he told mom. I need to talk with someone to calm my nerves, so I search for my phone.

"Tessa?" I ask quickly. "Sofia, how you've been?" Her cheerful voice greeted me. "Not well," I answer, frustrated. "Has it something to do with that ex of yours? Because I've heard a lot..." She talks, but I cut her off. "Save me all the gossip, please. None of it is true!" I hiss in frustration. "I know Sofia. I saw him at the reunion. He tried to shake my hand, but I just walked away. I've got your back, girl." Tessa explains proudly. "Thanks, Tessa, I appreciate it," I respond respectfully. "So what's the matter?" Tessa's concerned voice spoke calmly.

"He fucking drives me crazy. Mom's car has been stolen today, and he was there and ..." Tessa, her squealing voice scared the shit out of me. "Whattt!!! Howwww???" With big eyes I hold my bearings, taking some distance from the phone who was on a loudspeaker. "Tessa!" I hiss. "Sorry, continue." She responds calmly. "We had some mom-daughter time and when we arrived at the parking lot, mom's car was gone, of course, stolen. I had been searching for the car when he showed up.

He helped mom with the police officer and he even offered to drive us home. Of course, mom said yes, and I was so angry at mom and him. She ignored me and not to mention him." I exhale loudly. "Breath Sofia," Tessa's calmness giving me the strength to carry on. "When we had arrived home, I confronted her about her behavior and why she trusted him after what he has done to me. I was so disappointed and angry at her." I inform Tessa."That's understandable. What did she tell you?" Tessa asked.

"She told me it was far more complicated than I'm aware of. Michael visited her a year ago, and now she doesn't want to tell me what he has been saying to her. She thinks he's here to speak with me. But why does he come after seven years? Why now?" I tell her with an uneasy feeling. Talking about him always makes my stomach doing backflips in my tummy, and I can assure you it's not a nice feeling.

"What does he needs to tell you then?" Tessa asked curiously. "I don't know, the truth?" I answer silently. "After seven years, he's finally going to give you an explanation?" Tessa's voice sounded a little horrified. "Exactly. I would be mad if I would trust him on his word. He left me without a proper goodbye. I don't think I can trust him again." I tell her, my voice faltering again. My bulging anger fades away, making a place for uneasiness and nerves, but I remain calm.

"I'm proud of you." I hear Tessa's voice from afar. "Why?" I ask, a little confused. "You are so calm. I thought you would freak out by now." Tessa says seriously. "I'm freaking out from the inside, trust me," I admit softly. "I can only imagine what the events must have felt like. After all those years, he just shows up out of nowhere, confronting you with the pain of the past. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you." Tessa explained sadly.

"It's okay, Tessa, I'm fine. Are you back in New Orleans?" I ask her, trying to change the topic. "Yes, we just arrived a few minutes ago," Tessa responds quickly. "Good, I think I'll fly back tomorrow too," I tell her. "I thought you would come back on Wednesday?" She asked me hesitantly. "Yeah, that was the plan at first, but I've changed my mind. I need to get back to my normal life." I tell her. "You mean to flee from Oregon because of him?" Tessa asked hesitantly. "I'm not running away from him," I answer, agitated. "I'm not scared of him," I add quickly, pacing through my chamber like I'm waiting for an important call. "You're scared for what he has to say to you," Tessa replied a little unsure.

"Tessa, I don't want to see him again. I'm not sure I want to hear what he has to say either. After all those years, he thinks I can forgive him or whatever he wants to tell me. I don't want his pity, Tessa." I tell her in a harsh tone. "You are right. You deserve so much more than his compassion. He's a fucking loser for letting you go in the first place." Tessa tells me roughly.

Suddenly I hear Tom talking to her, but I couldn't understand what he was saying. "Sofia, Tom believes Michael is also back for you," Tessa tells me calmly. "Maybe, I don't care. He's too late. I don't need his apologies anymore. Everything that we had is over and he just needs to deal with that truth." I tell her with confidence. "It's your decision, babe. I'll see you when you arrive then." Tessa tells me. "See ya, Tess."

"Sofia?" I hear mother's voice downstairs calling me. I descend the stairs and find her folding up the laundry. "I have good news. They found my car by video footage of the Hilton Hotel. Dad and Cody are on their way picking him up, isn't that great?" She tells me cheerfully. "That's awesome news mom," I answer, trying to plaster a genuine smile on my face. I know she won't be pleased by my earlier departure.

"What's wrong?" Mom questioned me suddenly. "Nothing, it's just that I want to leave a bit earlier than promised." I explain her softly. "Why?" Mom asked. "The whole reunion and him has been too much for me. I have to go back to my life, the life I'm used to." I explain her softly. "I understand, but you're running away from him, dear." Mom says hesitantly. "I'm not running away from him, I'm not afraid. If he wants to talk to me, he had multiple chances to do so. He had seven years, mom!" I hiss out of breath. "I know dear, it's hard to understand why he has waited so long, but I'm sure he has had his reasons to do so." Mom informs me gently. "Mom, I can't understand why you believe him blindly? It's not normal for you to behave like that as my mother. I need your support now." I tell her in a firm tone. "You have my understanding dear, believe me, it's been hard keeping such information for you." She tells me. I nod, blinking away a tear.

"It's hard to hear from everyone that I'm the one running away now. But why am I not allowed to run away? He was the one that left me. He ran away from me..."