Steve Rogers x Reader - Key

Y/N's P.O.V.

I felt awful. My throat was scratchy and sore, by nose was blocked and I had a headache that just wouldn't quit.
But that wasn't the only reason I felt bad.
It was date night and the third time I had cancelled this month. The first time, I had to stay late at work and the second time I just wasn't in the mood to go anywhere.
I had been dating Steve for a little over a year and everything about him was amazing. He was a gentleman and honestly one of the nicest men I had ever met. But with his job as an Avenger, he was always called out on missions. He always did his best to make sure our date nights were perfect and I felt truly horrible.
My phone buzzed with a text and guilt shot through my chest as I picked it up.

Steve ❤️🇺🇸:

I'll be there in an hour, hope you're hungry
I've planned a big night for us both

Please don't be mad, but I have to cancel.
I'm sick

Again?
Y/N this is the 3rd week in a row that you've cancelled

I know
I feel horrible

Are you really sick or just avoiding me?
Because if I've done something wrong, just tell me

You haven't done anything wrong, Steve
I really am sick

Whatever

Whatever?

He didn't reply and before I knew it, tears were welling up in my eyes. I let out a frustrated breath, pulling my knees up to my chest as I cried. I was usually pretty good at controlling my emotions, but I was exhausted and I just wanted to cry. I wasn't sure how long I sat there for, but I had barely managed to stop my tears, when I felt like I needed to puke.
My vision blurred with more tears as I collapsed to my knees next to the toilet, my body trying to get me to throw up, but I hadn't eaten anything all day.

"Y/N?" I heard Steve call out, and with shaky hands, I reached up and flushed the toilet, but I couldn't find the strength to move.
"Y/N, hey. I'm sorry." Steve whispered, kneeling next to me.
"How are you feeling?"

"Sick." I muttered and he frowned.

"I'm sorry about what I text you. I just wanted to see you and I thought you were avoiding me and I had this big night planned-"

"Steve it's fine, but you should probably leave." Hurt shone in his eyes and I sighed.
"Not like that- I just don't want you getting sick too."

"Super soldier, remember?" He asked with a small smile.
"I can't get sick."

"Lucky you." I mumbled and he helped me to my feet. I moved over to the sink and brushed my teeth, before Steve helped me back into my bed, kicking his shoes off and climbing in next to me, pulling me against his chest.
"You know, for a guy who was trapped in ice for 65 years, you're surprisingly warm."

"If you're hungry, I picked up some chicken noodle soup on my way here?" He suggested and I hummed, causing him to move.

"No, stay." I complained, making him laugh.

"If you want the soup, I'm going to have to move to make it." He smiled, playing with my hair.

"The soup can wait then." I mumbled tiredly.
"Tell me about what you planned."

"Maybe later, just get some rest." He spoke, wrapping his arms around me.

"No, I'm interested." I smiled up at him.
"Tell me."

"Well, I had a reservation booked for dinner at that restaurant you like and the there's this fair in town for a few days..." My smile widened considerably when I saw the adorable blush on his cheeks.
"And the I was going to give you something, but it can wait until after you're not sick."

"You can't say that and then not tell me what it is!" I argued, making him grin at me.

"Yes I can, because I just did." I pouted, not finding his teasing funny. He only laughed, before kissing me lightly and I broke the kiss, worried I was going to pass on my germs.
"I'm not going to get sick, Y/N. Don't worry about it." He kissed me again and this time I kissed back. It was a sweet kiss, most kisses I shared with Steve were sweet, but there was something else about this kiss. Something more.
"I was going to give you this." He mumbled, leaning his forehead against mine and holding out his hand. I turned my head to see the key that looked surprisingly small in his hands.

"Is that...?"

"You mentioned that you have to renew your lease next month, but what if you didn't? My apartment is big enough for two." He looked at me hopefully and I couldn't believe it.
"So, what do you say?" I put my hand over his, connecting our fingers with the key trapped between our palms, before nodding.
"Yes?"

"Yeah." He kissed me again and I laughed into the kiss slightly.
"I love you."

"I love you more." He grinned at me and I rolled my eyes.

"Good, then go and make me some soup and we can watch Disney movies." His eyes lit up and he kissed my head, before pulling himself out of bed. I looked at the key with a small smile.
"Hurry up!"

"Just choose a movie. The soup will only take a few minutes." He called from the kitchen and I placed the key down on the bedside table.
Okay, so maybe date night didn't turn out too bad after all.