Chapter 10

You read the exact letter to them, while Hermione held a candle by the candleholder next to you, letting you read with the light. Your mood changed drastically as you read the last few sentences. Hermione put her hand over her mouth nervously and you frowned, knowing what it meant what happened to her. Now, the four of you didn't utter a sound since you read that letter and you didn't even know how to approach the situation. Much less did they know how to comfort you. Until you couldn't stand the silence anymore you said, "Well, that explains a lot." 

Hermione sighed heavily and said, "I'm sorry about what happened, y/n." She set down the candleholder on the table in front of a fireplace. Harry has already set it on fire, since the four of you entered. The four of you collectively sat on the floor, ignoring the furniture that was right behind you. 

"Me too," you replied, nodding slowly in sorrow. You let your knees go onto your chest, making your arms cling to them. You put your head on your arms, watching the fire dance in the fireplace. You tried so hard to figure out what happened before they left because it was usually so cheery before. What happened that night? You didn't even know that your mother left you, you don't even remember that night. "It's odd. I don't remember anything that happened, that night I mean," you mentioned, playing with your fingers. 

"Do you reckon someone erased your memories?" Hermione inquired, feeling a little bad when she said it. She let her eyes go on the wooden floor, tracing the lines on the planks. 

You knew it was a sensitive topic and you answered, "I don't think so. Why would they even bother to erase the memories of a seven year old? But, enough of that, let's talk about what we are going to do to destroy that stupid locket." 

Harry nodded and cleared his throat. He rubbed his hands together and while he did so, he said, "We have to destroy the locket, I understand. But, how?" He picked up the locket that he had placed on the floor next to him. He examined the locket in his hands, turning around the golden charm with the green "S" on it. 

"We can't possibly know how to do it. We aren't remotely closer than we are before. In fact, we probably are even farther to know how to destroy it because we got sent here," you commented, turning your head to inspect the cabin that felt so unfamiliar to you now. 

"There has to be something," Ron said, yawning. He started to turn his head, taking in the cabin. He inhaled the scent of the wood burning, reminding him of the familiar scent he was so used to.

"We have to get back to Hogwarts once we destroy this horcrux. Maybe we missed some in the school?" you suggested, rubbing your hand over your forehead. Your forehead was heating and you sighed contently because the fire took away your cold. 

"Agreed but back to the horcrux, what can destroy it?" Harry asked, enclosing his hand over it entirely. 

No one said anything. Everyone's mind was turning, trying to figure out what to say. You didn't want to sit down anymore so you got up from the ground and walked around the cabin. The wood creaked as you walked. You walked onto a hallway and you fixed your eyes on a portrait that held the face of your father and mother. This face that was in front of you, perfectly pictured in time, had kind brown eyes and a warm smile. Your mother was beautiful. She had beautiful black hair and a pretty face. You sighed and reached your hand towards them, trailing your fingers on the portrait, feeling a little nostalgic. You reached to the frame that was engraved with floral designs on gold colors. When you turned to walk back to the living room, the portrait swung to the sides a little. You turned back to steady it but something didn't feel right. "I think the portrait is loose. I'm going to fix it," you mentioned loudly, gripping both sides of it. You raised it up and placed your hand under the portrait. You used your hands as eyes to look for the hang that the portrait was placed on.