Chapter Twenty-Four || i'm here

WARNING – may be triggering. read with caution.

A FEW SECONDS HAVE PASSED since Vaughn asked me how I knew Nick and I still haven't said anything

A FEW SECONDS HAVE PASSED since Vaughn asked me how I knew Nick and I still haven't said anything. I've just been staring at my hands, thinking.

And it's not like I'm trying to stall for time, I really do want to tell him, but it's just that I honestly don't know where to start.

"Baby," Vaughn soothes, lifting my chin so now he's looking into my eyes. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, I just–"

"No, no. I–I want to tell you." I lift my hand to place it on his cheek. I sigh before turning away from his touch, trying to focus on what I have to do.

"Nick..." I turn to look at him, my voice going quiet. "He's my ex."

Realization appears in Vaughn's eyes, a sharp intake of breath comes out of his swollen lips as he soothingly rubs his palm over my back.

I gulp, "in Freshman year, a few months after my Mom died, I wasn't in a good place. Months passed and I wasn't really talking to anyone. Not Dad or Adrian, not even Arden or Darius. Dad tried to send me to a therapist to... talk. But, surprise, surprise, I didn't end up going." I lightly laugh, shaking my head in annoyance at my past self.

"Instead, I would just blindly walk around the city. Wasting time until my appointment would be over and my Dad was supposed to come and pick me up. And that's kinda how I met Nick." I shrug, glancing over at a focused Vaughn, who's attentively listening to me.

"I was walking through Central Park when a football hit me in the back of the head." I roll my eyes, shaking my head with a small smile. "I ended up falling and that's when Nick came over to help me up, and back then I thought the way we met was... cute. I guess when you don't know what happened to us in the end, it does sound sweet.

"We got each other's numbers and began talking and meeting up once a week when I was supposed to be in therapy. He was there for me when I felt like no one else was, but I now know that was a lie. I had so many people, I just... I don't know. I think I needed some time for myself, and I felt like Nick knew that.

"By the time I turned fifteen, we had been dating for 7 months. He was everything. He was my first love, you know. And I think that was the problem. I relied too much on him and not enough on the people that were already in my life. Or maybe he wanted me to feel like he was the only person I could rely on. I've thought about that a lot since we broke up.

"Anyway," I shake my head, trying to remember my train of thought. "Things only started getting bad, or maybe I only realized the situation was bad, at the end of my Sophomore year. I've now realized that we were always somewhat... flawed." I lick my lips nervously before continuing. "He started getting... possessive, I guess. More than usual. I mean, even when we started going out he was like that, but it got even worse after our one year.