Chapter 204: The King's Interrogation

Throne Room,

2:09 p.m. 18th Banem 1092

"LONG MAY HE REIGN!"

The powerful chant rocked the throne room as King Parissius let go of Kashi and rose to his feet, pulling the daeben up with him. "Thank you," he said once again as he patted the daeben's shoulder. "Let me handle it from here."

Kashi winked and then grinned as he whispered, "Give 'em hell."

King Parissius patted Kashi's shoulder and then stood next to the daeben. Facing his kneeling subjects, the king called out in a warm voice, "Please rise." The subjects chanted one last time and then rose to their feet, eyes trained on the king.

"My ministers," King Parissius began as he looked to the ministers. "I trust the Hopeful Maggots have done enough to acquit themselves in your eyes." The ministers responded with a loud affirmation, leading the king to continue his address, "I am happy to hear that, but saddened by the reality that this was necessary." The king shook his head as he lamented, "The Hopeful Maggots have been nothing but friends to the Royal Family, and what have we repaid that with, but scorn and ridicule?"

"Alas, I am to share in some of the blame," lamented King Parissius with a sigh. He quickly raised his hand, quelling the ministers' dissenting cries. "No, it is true. I have been made privy to everything the Hopeful Maggots have done over the past months. Every project and plan Ms. Lightwood here has brought to my attention. However, for fear of leaks, I decided to keep these details secret until a time when they could not be sabotaged by our enemies." The king shook his head as he said, "Perhaps I should have trusted Rosendun's ministers more, but..." The king's eyes turned red with rage as he glared at Zitch. "Ministers like Zitch here remind me of why I chose caution."

"My Lord!" Zitch cried out in shock, immediately falling to his knees and groveling before the king's feet. "Please! This subject only said what he did for the sake of Rosendun! For our people's land!"

"For our people?" King Parissius spat with disgust. "You dare claim to care for the people at this juncture?" Despite his rage, the king calmed himself as he questioned the old man, "Fine. Let it not be said that King Parissius is a tyrant who makes one-sided decisions. I will give you a chance, Zitch. Tell me, how did you come to learn all these sensitive information about the daeben? Among your intel is information even I am not yet privy to, so they could only have occurred within the past few days."

Zitch, trembling, quickly said, "My Lord! For the sake of Rosendun, I have trained a secret spy force. I was always suspicious of the Hopeful Maggots' intentions, so I sent the forces to follow their every move."

"Oh?" King Parissius muttered and then asked with a tight smile, "How long have you had this force? Your information is quite broad."

"For several months, Your Majesty," Zitch claimed with a loud shout. "I dedicated most of my revenue to creating this force for the country."

"Oh? So you have had this force for several months but never thought to bring it up until now?" King Parissius questioned, gaze turning frosty. "Is there some reason behind this action?"

"U-um," Zitch stammered, realizing he had seriously messed up just then. "Th-th-that's not entirely the case, Your Majesty." Luckily, despite his panic, Zitch was intelligent enough to find a solution and once again throw shade at the Maggots. "I was afraid, Your Majesty. If the Maggots knew I was watching them, they might come after me! Everyone knows just how much influence Leila Lightwood holds in the capital! There are even some who call her the 'Queen without a Crown!'"

Leila's brows furrowed, but before she could speak, King Parissius signaled her with his right hand. Complying with his request, Leila relaxed and watched the proceedings. It was easy to forget because he usually deferred to her judgment, but King Parissius was definitely no fool. He was an extremely intelligent man, just a humble one (well, except for his narcissistic tendencies).