Chapter 100

One hundred!!! Whoop whoop :)

Remus was still applying the cleaning paste. "You transformed and started trying to hunt," he explained. "You didn't attack us straight away, because you recognised us as pack members. But when we tried to stop you you took a good swipe."

Auriga gasped, partly from the pain of the wound cleaner, and partly from the shock of it. "Did I give you that?" she asked, pointing at his face. He nodded. She sat up slowly and put her hand out for the wound cleaner. He handed it over and she began applying it herself. "I'm really sorry," she said, avoiding his eyes.

"What for?" asked Remus.

"I bloody hurt you, that's what for!" exclaimed Auriga looking up at him. To her surprise, she saw he was smiling.

"I don't remember you doing anything," he said, echoing her words from the night she'd been bitten. Auriga couldn't help but smile back, but looked away to conceal it.

"Will you pass me the dittany, please?" she asked, swapping it for the wound cleaner.

"It's annoying, isn't it?" said Remus, happily obliging.

Auriga winced at the dittany, gritting her teeth. "I'm sorry for being such a burden," she said. "It'd be so much easier without me here."

"That's funny," said Remus, crossing his arms. "Because in the months between you going missing and me coming here, I had to do what you did last night, alone. So no, I wouldn't say you're a burden at all."

Auriga sighed and sat back, massaging her temples. "Since I've returned from the dead," Auriga began. "You had to move out your house, I took us on a suicide mission to the bank-"

"How would you have known he was there?" hissed Remus, frowning.

"I was engaged to him, Remus," said Auriga. "Twice. I knew he worked there and I forgot."

"He should've been in Azkaban," Remus pointed out. Auriga couldn't really argue with that.

"Well, it was still me he recognised," she pressed. "I ruined Christmas-"

"No you didn't."

"-I was throwing up everywhere, and I hurt you and Sirius, and you then had to look after me."

"None of that is your fault!" said Remus with a frown.

"It doesn't matter that it wasn't my fault," said Auriga. "The fact remains that if it wasn't for me, none of that trouble would have happened."

"But Tonks and Sirius would be dead."

Auriga paused. "Don't say that," she said quietly.

"Where would they have gone, Auriga?" asked Remus, being somewhat aggressive in his bolstering of her.

"The Burrow!"

"They'd never have made it in time," said Remus. "They hardly made it here, by floo!" They sat in breathless silence, both of them wanting it to be over, both of them just wanting to sleep, but neither wanting to be the one to say it. "How can you love me?" asked Remus eventually.

"What?" asked Auriga softly, turning to him with a frown.

"You were really annoying me then," said Remus. "Really pushing my buttons. And then I realised that that's what I sound like all the time to everyone else."

"Just because you're an annoying little child at heart, with a chocolate problem, and commitment issues-"

"You can stop listing."

Auriga let out a laugh. "It doesn't mean that I don't love you. My brother's a little pile of dragon dung and I'd kill for him. With ease and happiness."

"Would you kill for me?" challenged Remus, raising his eyebrows with the tiniest smile on his face.

"No," said Auriga, snuggling into his side and closing her eyes. "You I'd die for."

*****

Auriga finished her fantastic morning in the music room, and decided she was going to head downstairs for a spot of lunch, when Lee Jordan appeared from the study he'd commandeered for the Potterwatch Office. Auriga was yet to go on it (hearing the voice of a Malfoy was hardly a relief, but she still gave them Death Eater guidance), but Remus and Arthur both had. And it was always a laugh with Fred and George.

"Are you alright, Lee?" she asked, frowning at him. He looked like he'd had a great shock, with his eyes darting around and his hands fidgeting. Of course, they got all their news through him when people sent patronuses or hijacked frequencies on the radio. Auriga's heart sank. He'd had bad news. "What is it?" she persisted, gently placing a hand on his arm. "Who's-?"

"I'm a coward!" he cried, not raising his voice but still sounding sick with guilt. "I can't do it!"

"Alright," said Auriga, gently guiding him towards the stairs. "Sit down." He obliged and Auriga sat down on the top step next to him. "Tell me what's happened."

"T-Ted Tonks," said Lee. "I just got word...a fight with some Snatchers..."

Auriga paled and swallowed shakily. She'd only met Tonks's father once before, and had been aware he was a muggle-born. He'd been so kind and warm to her and he'd taken care of Harry...and now he was gone.

She looked at Lee, to see tears welling in his eyes. "You're not a coward for not wanting to tell Tonks," said Auriga. She knew full well how upset Gryffindors got when their bravery was questioned. And the only way to console was to boost their egos right back up. "The opposite, I think. You don't want to hurt her, because you love her so much-"

"How did you-?" began Lee.

Auriga forced a smile. "We all live in one house. You can't exchange those looks without it going unnoticed." He forced a watery smile back.

"She's great," he whispered. "Brilliant. She's so kind, and bubbly, and brave..." He trailed off, looking to his feet.

"You love Tonks," said Auriga. "I don't know how much, but I know that you do. And loving someone in this war? That's brave. Not cowardly." He nodded, his words resonating with her. "I'll tell her," said Auriga, standing up. "And I'll send one of the twins up to sort you out, you daft bugger."

Lee nodded and climbed to his feet. "Thank you, Professor," he said eventually. Auriga raised her eyebrows. "Sorry," he said quickly. "Old habits."

Auriga smiled at him again, although she knew it was false and not cheery. She turned and headed shakily down the stairs to find Tonks, a lump in her throat. She hated this.