My hero

"Well, what we do, is we go around the circle and each of us asks another person a question. If they answer it truthfully then they drink once and if they decline to answer then they drink three times. So, I shall begin, to start us off, to demonstrate. So, I shall ask Peaches a question... Peaches, who is the most handsome man you have ever met? And she shall answer..."

"Anthony, maybe. Anthony is extremely lovely to look at but he also despises me. Or I do think Colin is rather handsome, but I think I should most likely suggest the duke of hastings." I smile to him, kissing his cheek and finishing talking. He only looks at me, chuckling to himself a little. "Oh, you should have known I should say that. You wish for me to tell you how handsome you are when you have not bathed for days?"

"You married me whilst I had not bathed for days. I believe that says more of you than it does of me, my lady." He kisses the top of my head and looks to Pen, who sits on his right. "And now it is your turn to ask anyone a question, and you may choose to ask anyone."

Pen surveys the room, fixating onto Colin for a moment. She opens her mouth as though she should ask him a question and then decides she shall not, instead glancing to my husband. "Have you been in love before?"

"I have not. I have felt numerous things but never love before. Only for my dear wife." He wraps his arm around me, stroking up and down my forearm.

"And what of you, Peaches?" Colin asks his question to me. "Have you in fact been in love before?"

"Oh dear god, no. Peaches has never been in love. All she ever told me throughout our childhood was that she shall never love anything but her art and her paintings. And yet she was a complete and utter dizzy mess when she met Benedict, she did not stop talking for days! Oh it was as though someone else had possessed her and suddenly she believed in love and light and romance and all good things. She spoke like a poet! Oh, it was something indeed. She was obsessive and hardly left her room when the two of you argued, I have never witnessed her so despondent. She has never been in love but she certainly is at the moment, and that I can say without a doubt in my mind." Penelope hiccups between every few words, causing Colin to swap her from the stronger whiskey to the much weaker champagne.

"That is so sweet, Peaches." Benedict teases me, poking my neck gently as he fills up my glass once more. "You are truly smitten."

"And you are truly arrogant." I move from his hand, but only for a moment before I rest my head once again on his chest. "Colin, I should like to know if you are as much a gentleman as you seem to be."

"And what do you mean by that?"

"Well, I do believe you are rather green. I just wonder whether that is the truth or whether it is an act in order to lure pretty, young and innocent ladies into your bedroom."

"I am outraged by your suggestion, peaches. It is rather improper for you to suggest such things. I... I am not like my brothers. Anthony did not take me to a brothel when I turned eighteen as he did for Benedict. I am... well, I believe I have as much virtue as you did before you crossed paths with my brother." He offers me a small smile and I return it to him. "Benedict next, I do believe."

"Well, I shall follow on from what Pen asked me and ask Pen. Have you ever considered yourself to be in love, Penelope?"

Penelope stays silent for a moment, her breath hitching as she takes a deep breath inwards and frowns. "I have been in love."

"You have?" Colin tilts his head, grinning wildly. He is rather stupid, I think. If he does not recognise exactly how my sister feels of him when it is, to me, as though the only way she shall be clearer is to shout it. "Well I should like to use my question to enquire of this mystery boy. Is it someone I know?"

"Yes." Pen glances to me for help, and I am exactly unsure of what she wishes for me to do. "It is my turn to ask now, is it not?"

"They are usually the rules but I shall not allow you to retreat from this question!" Colin laughs, tapping at the rim of his drink with his middle finger. "It is someone I know... is it someone that I should know very well? Are they a friend of mine?"

Pen is beginning to get a little anxious. I recognise it and thankfully so does Benedict. He may sometimes be as stupid as his brother but at least it seems he can detect the elephant in the room, and so he speaks. My hero. "Colin, need I remind you that it is my game and so I shall decide whether this is within the rules or not? I do not believe it to be so. And do remember Pen, if you should not wish to answer then you must drink three times." Pen nods thankfully at him and sips at her drink.

"I do not understand who it could possibly be that is so horribly embarrassing!" Colin has still not caught on and I do wonder at that moment whether he ever shall. It is awfully silent for a moment, as three of us think of one thing, and Colin sits confused as to what is going on. He hesitates for a moment before he attempts to revive the game. "Peaches, your turn?"

"I think I shall go outside and.. sit out there for a little while." My sister mumbles as she interjects, pushing her hand against her head as though the liquor has finally hit her and she is so horribly overwhelmed. She shakes her head and slumps against the bed. "I need some air. I... must go."