002. minister's fancy balls

SORRY

ii|minister's fancy balls

Maria hears a strange noise downstairs and furrows her eyebrows, setting down her muggle book ('Wuthering Heights') and cautiously walking down the stairs, clutching the bannister tightly.
She sees a familiar woman hanging up her coat and squeals.

"Mum!" The girl runs down the rest of the stairs, leaping onto her mother.
Euphemia Potter is a beautiful woman, with short, brown hair cut so the ends rest on her square shoulders, her eyes a pale shade of green.

Mrs Potter chuckles and hugs her daughter back tightly, inhaling her familiar aroma of strawberry shampoo and perfume.
Maria is close to tears as she stands in her mother's embrace, after not seeing either of her parents for months.

"I missed you!" Euphemia beams, running a hand through her daughters soft hair with a small smile on her lips.
"I missed you too, but where's—"

Before young Maria can finish her sentence, her father opens the front door, a grin on his face as he spots his daughter.

"Dad!" Maria rushes past her mother and jumps into her father's arms, her face buried in his shoulder and her legs dangling off the floor as he hugs her back tightly.
Fleamont Potter is a rather tall man, towering over Euphemia and Maria, slightly taller than James who is quite tall himself. His hair light brown just like James' and his eyes a dark shade of blue.
Maria has always wondered why she had chocolate coloured eyes, but she remembers that her grandmother had very dark eyes.

"Mum? Dad?" A tired and deep voice says from the stairs and Euphemia beams at her eldest child, James laughing slightly as his mother drags him into a hug.
"Sirius." Fleamont nods, slapping Sirius on the shoulder, as men do. Sirius grins at the Potter parents, feeling more at home than he ever did when he was at his actual house.

"Did you catch him?" Sirius asks them as Euphemia hugs the raven haired Black, kissing his cheek in a motherly manner.
"Oh yeah." Fleamont smirks, "locked up in Azkaban now, I suppose. His trial proved he was guilty, Dumbledore said it himself, and Dumbledore knows most things."

The small family laugh at Fleamont's remark, Maria turning serious as she looks between her parents.
"You won't leave again, will you?" She says quietly and Euphemia smiles.

"Not for that long hunny, only the usual daily jobs." Fleamont states, rubbing his daughters arm.
"That reminds me, later on, we've been invited to a ball with the Minister for Magic." Euphemia informs the three teens who groan, "I know, I know. But it will put a good word in for when you three go into your auror training. And there's free alcohol."

To this, all three of the teenagers faces light up and the Potter parents roll their eyes.

"So, you'll go?" Euphemia says hopefully and the three teenagers share a look before looking back at Mrs Potter and nodding their heads.