Possessive and Political

Marty and Vincent rode to the school in a comfortable silence, but as they pulled up to the building trouble came into view; trouble by the name of Lucas. The soccer player stood on the sidewalk leading to the parking lot. He had a curious look on his face when he came into view. When Marty pulled to a stop Vinny quickly hopped out of the passenger seat.

"Lucas?" Vincent called.

"Marty?"

"Vincent?" Marty chimed in after Lucas, but Vinny ignored the dark haired boy and walked up to Lucas.

"What's up Lu?" Vinny asked trying to smile despite the awkward situation.

"Marty texted me to meet him...Were you just in the car together?" Lucas asked, dumbfounded. "Did you like spend the night with him?"

     "No... well maybe-" Vincent began.

     "Yeah he did." Marty said with a smug grin, and wrapped his arm around Vincent. "We spent the night in bed."

      "Marty!" Vincent shook Marty off and got out of the car, going up to Lucas.

     "Why? I thought you hated him." Lucas gave Vinny a strange look.

     "I do.. I mean I did. I mean I think I do..." Vincent stuttered. "It wasn't like that, we didn't-"

     Is that his hoodie?" Lucas asked looking past Vinny to Marty, who was leaning against his car lazily and pretending not to listen to their conversation, his expression unidentifiable.

"Uh yes."

      "So you... you and him?"

      "No!" Vincent said firmly. "That's not what happened at all... can we, I think we should talk, away from Marty." Vinny eyed the boy suspiciously. He hadn't said anything for a while but was watching the whole scene with an intrigue.

      "Uh... okay." Lucas' brow furrowed. "Would you.. we could walk to class together?" Lucas rolled back and forth on his feet. His blond hair was pushed up and back out his face. He had recently gotten a haircut, and it was close cropped on the sides and back. He had on a blue Henley shirt, with khaki chino pants that stopped at the ankle, and his maroon team jacket over it.

     "Yes. That's perfect. Come on." Vincent grabbed Lucas by the arm without looking back, but Lucas shot one more look back at Marty who grinned.

"We're still too early to go to class. We should talk for a minute first?"

"Sure." Vinny replied slightly nervous for what he was going to say.

"Let's go sit down a little." Lucas led Vincent back towards a little bench away from the quad where they couldn't be overheard. "So you.. you didn't do anything with Marty."

      "No, absolutely not, I promise.... It was just.."

     "It's okay." Lucas ran a hand through his hair. "I believe you, if you say nothing happened, then nothing happened... besides it's not like I should care, you're free to go after whoever you want."

      For some reason Vincent found himself disappointed that Lucas didn't care. Lucas on the other hand was using every fiber of self control he had not to rip Marty's hoodie off the boy.

       "I just wouldn'tve thought you'd be going after boys.." Lucas whispered quietly. If Vincent was going after boys, and hadn't even considered Lucas, then there was no way... they could ever... that was the end of it. Lucas grimaced. He was reading too much into it.

      "I'm not going after anybody." Vincent sighed. "But I think maybe if I did... it would be a boy."

     "Oh." Lucas said, voice wrought with disappointment.