5 - Potions Partners

A/N: I know Sirius never had a class with Horace Slughorn but let's just pretend he did for plot convenience ;)

---

Since the argument with Sirius, you hid away in the forest. Thinking back to the black dog you saw the day before you scanned the woods for him yet you could only find the Thestrals. The dog seemed to have vanished, for a moment you began to double guess yourself but he was real. You knew that the odd strand of fur still littered your robes. You couldn't exactly call for him, he didn't have a name well, not that you knew of. You spent hours in the forest, you were surprised that nothing had ever happened to you, you'd had a close encounter with centaurs once but nothing to hurt you in fact now they looked out for you whenever you ventured inside the dark, deep forest. Seeing as you still had class the next day you returned to Hogwarts. 

Opening the common room door you expected to see no one up due to how late you had returned but a bundle of black fur caught your attention. Sitting up, almost like he was waiting for you sat the black dog you'd seen in the forest. His eyes grew as he saw you, jumping down from the sofa he was perched on he let out a small bark. The dog jumped up and began tugging at your robes, clearly wanting some form of attention. Smiling, you fell to your knees and began to pet the dog, trying to keep him from waking anyone up. 

"How did you get in here?" You gave him a faint smile. "Huh? How'd you do it?" 

The dog only barked in response as you stared into his eyes. You could have sworn you'd seen those same grey eyes before. 

"Surely you belong to someone here - I reckon James might have tried to sneak you in here, that is if you get along well with Remus and his out of control rabbit." The dog found your sentence amusing. He knew that Remus didn't have a rabbit, that was just James's way of covering up his little fury secret. 

He tilted his head up to meet your cheeks as he began to lick away the stains on your cheeks from crying hours earlier. His actions made you laugh and push him off so you could wipe the dog slobber he'd left on your face. The black dog tilted his head up and gave you a whine that sounded like he wanted to know why you'd been crying earlier which caused you to let out a small soft grin.

"Sirius Black is the answer if you were wondering." You rose back up only to fall onto the sofa where the dog had once been. "I have detention with him now for a long while. We got into a fight today, he said something about my Mum ... I did say something back but it hurt." You looked down at the dog who had now jumped up onto the sofa with you and was resting his head on your lap, looking up at you. 

"I lost my Mum last year," You began to inform him of your past. "she was killed at the Ministry, right in front of me. That's how I can see Thestrals. She was my best friend and I lost her so quickly. Theodore Wing killed her, apparently, he's a big supporter of you-know-who ... a Death Eater to be exact. I now only have my Dad, he does everything to make me happy." You smiled thinking of him. "I live near James ironically well ... we're next-door neighbours and he helped when she passed." You turned your head and stared at the dying fire, petting the dog's fur as the two of you sat in silence. 

You could feel yourself falling asleep and the dog laying his head on you was also slowly drifting off in your lap. "Wanna go upstairs and sleep?" The dog pricked his ears up before jumping down and making his way towards the girl dormitory stairs. "You've definitely been here before." You stood up and followed him to the foot of the stairs. "Let's see if can guess where my bed is then." The dog looked back at you as if he accepted your challenge. 

He bolted up the stairs with you trailing behind. He trotted past the doors to which your room didn't belong to before stopping at one. He jumped up and pushed the door open with his front legs before walking in and jumping onto your bed like he owned the place. A look of disbelief washed over your face as you watched him.