Twenty two

•descriptions of domestic abuse, please seek help if you need it•

"We said we'd give it space," Meredith groaned, lying herself down on Erin's bed as she braided her hair. Erin raised her eyebrows at her sister. "Well, not it. Us. We're going to give each other space. We need space. From each other. So, really, we are giving it space. It being our relationship," Meredith said.

"Am I right in thinking this is about Derek?" Erin asked.

"Yes," Meredith said.

"Why do you need space?" Rob asked, closing his work file over to give her his attention. Erin rolled her eyes but from Rob's jaw clenching, she knew he'd seen it. She also knew her ass was toast later because of that.

"His sister hates me and everything is just complicated," Meredith said.

"Well, are you going to leave it forever?" he asked.

"We're on more than we're off so probably not," Meredith said.

"Then you don't need to worry," Rob said.

"He's right. You'll be back together in a few weeks. Just take care of yourself and then worry about Derek," Erin said, tying off her last braid. She flicked her hair behind her shoulders and leaned back against the pillows. Meredith lay her hair on Erin's stomach and Erin winced as she pressed on a bruise. She tangled her fingers in Meredith's hair, ignoring the smirk on Rob's face from when he'd noticed her pain.

"You're right," Meredith said.

"I often am," Erin shrugged.

"Yeah," Meredith said.

"Okay, sunscreen, your insect repellent, and you're going to need a shovel to bury your poop," Izzie said, shoving items into George's backpack. Burke, Derek and the chief watched her while Erin, Rob and Meredith sat on the unit, watching their expressions.

"Izzie, I'm not five. Zip me," he said. Izzie zipped up his jacket for him, brushing off his shoulders. "If Callie calls... tell her... I'm a mountain man... man of the wild, right Dr. Burke?" George looked at Burke. Erin snorted and Rob chuckled. Burke looked guiltily at Derek.

"Okay, him I invited," he said.

"Sure you don't want to come, Rob?" George asked. Rob smiled and shook his head.

"I finally got the weekend off to spend time with Erin. Sorry," he said. George shrugged.

"Okay. Izzie baked us treats!" George said, swinging on his backpack. He left the house, the chief following. Burke followed, leaving Derek to linger in the door.

"Have fun with your... space. Or whatever," Meredith said. Derek smiled slightly and left the house, closing the front door over. "When are you at the hospital?" she looked at Erin.

"Tomorrow night," Erin said.

"I'm heading in in an hour. I'll page you if we get any interesting surgeries?" she said, standing up and walking towards the stairs. Rob dug his fingers painfully into Erin's hip and she winced away from the feeling of his nails cutting into her exposed skin.

"Uh, I think I'll pass, but thank you. Rob got the weekend off and I've finally got a day off. Can't blow him off," Erin smiled fakely, but it convinced Meredith. Erin knew exactly how to fool people into thinking everything was fine and good and she could even fool Meredith. She normally wouldn't but this secret was going to die with her and she had to just learn to deal with it.

"Well, you'll have the house to yourself for a few hours, then. Have fun," Meredith grinned and disappeared out of sight.

"Oh, we will," Rob whispered into Erin's ear, fingernails digging back into her hip.