Chapter 8.

Apart from the low volume music playing throughout the car, Prentiss and the child sat in silence, each in their own trains of thought. For Leila, memories of the cold, bitter winter night she was taken kept replaying in her mind. If only she had not been on that specific street or down that certain alley would there be a chance she wouldn't be sitting in a car next to the FBI agent who saved her. How she wishes she could go back to the Grant household, and never leave. Of course, Emily had treated her like a 'mini princess' as Derek liked to call her, but Virginia wasn't her home. She missed the busy lights flashing by, and the loud crowds, laughing, as they walked the streets, drunk, at 1 AM. As much as people say New York is a place of street rats and muggings, it's also Leila's home, and right now she felt exposed, alone and stripped of her identity.

"What's going on in that head of yours?" Emily asked, clearly worried about the girl as she glanced out the window, her warm breath fogging up the window, as it fought against the cold winter air.

"Where are you from?"

Emily, taken back by the question, wasn't quite sure how to answer. Moving around a lot as a kid meant nowhere was really home until the Prentiss family settled in Virginia. "Uh, I moved around a lot when I was growing up and the memories fogged together and we were never in one place for long enough to call it 'home', but I count Virginia my home now, I guess. Why'd you ask?"

"I guess I just miss New York. It's silly, don't worry about it."

"No, I get it. It's not silly."

"I just didn't get to say goodbye to any of my current friends, or the Grants. They were the only family that didn't 'use and abuse' me."

"Oh, Leila. I'm sorry." Emily didn't have the heart to tell the mini brunette that the Grants asked for a new foster kid. She deserved to have hope that she was loved in one household before leaving the state.

"No, I guess I'm just homesick, but I really like it here." She was hesitant to ask the question she's been denied a lot before. "Will I- will I be able to go to school?"

"Absolutely. You deserve your education, Leila."

"Really?" Her eyes began to water. Being denied her education wasn't something she found unfamiliar, for she moved foster families so much she couldn't ever stay in one school long enough, so she went to the library for her learning. Starting from the age of 5, the girl began by reading books meant for a 7 year old. As her age progressed, so did her reading ability. She was estimated to be at the reading level of a 15 year old. It was clearly her best subject within school - that's if she went.

"Of course. Reid and I came up with a plan for now though. He's going to tutor you until you get enrolled, which should be somewhere towards the end of the week. Is that ok?"

"Oh, my God that's perfect! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Tears of excitement were streaming down her face. Given it was a Monday night and the child would be able to go to school within the next 4 days, she was pretty happy to say the least. Emily had never seen someone so excited about going to school, but when they've been deprived for so long, you can't know what to expect. The two were talking about school the rest of the way to Emily's apartment.

-

"Okay, well that's the whole tour. Are you hungry?"

"Yeah, if it's alright, could I get a snack?" The girl asked shyly.

"It's always alright, help yourself. I'll be back in a second."

Leila went into the large kitchen to get a small snack after Emily gave her the whole apartment tour. It was big, and fancy, yet also cosy and warm but not a lot of furniture or décor. Leila wasn't completely sure what 'home' felt like, but if it was this, she has no complaints. "Would you like anything?" Leila shouted out, not exactly sure where in the apartment Emily was.