Chapter 39

Having Max be patient with me was rare. Actually- having Max be patient with anything was rare. Still the following days she was as comforting as could be. I had made her promise to not tell anyone. Her continuous support was all I needed, and it was all she gave to me. Every night before I went to bed I got the same text from her.

Max: You still don't know? xx

And the answer had always been the same.

Me: Not yet xx

And that was the truth. Harry leaving had just been the trigger. Unlike the weeks reaching up to this, when I had been ignoring all of it, I was now thinking of all of it, all the time. For once I was trying to find a way, and that was what mattered. 

Since I spilled my feelings to Max I did no longer feel the need to hold back with her. Especially with the effort she put into playing the role that usually belonged to Jack. I did not take her playing the good cop for granted. But for however unusual that was, this situation was just as rare. Who would've thought that I was going to admit to be falling for a guy, and who would've thought Max would manage to not act the devil's advocate like she was most times. Everyday she made sure to call, even to just talk about the little things and nothing. I knew it was her way of checking in on me without treating me like a wounded puppy. She knew I was trying now and that in time I would have an answer. In the meantime- Max was being just what I needed her to be, my normal and witty friend who always made me laugh.

That was more than what I could say when it came to what was going on between me and Harry. He had been busy. I had been busy. When it was night time here, it was day time there. And I may or may not have avoided him also.

The tight and passing schedule had only been the perfect excuse. A few texts here and there, but I couldn't count any of them as a conversation between him and I. The last time I truly talked to him was when we said goodbye, or correction- "see you soon."

That was now almost a week ago, and in two days it was going to be the 19th and Harry's tour would have officially started. But today my headspace was probably needed somewhere else. Yes, the Saturday we had decided to take as a work day in compensation for the day off in Manchester had arrived. The office was pretty much empty. The few from the weekend staff were here, but that was nothing compared to how it usually was.

Although we had decided to compensate for the lost job with this day, we didn't actually do very much working of our own. We basically listened to new music, did some creative planning and I helped him with the boring side of the job- paperwork. I got to give him a few songs to add to the playlist for a few shows ahead. Never before had I been given the chance to have a say in the playlist. I had however been feeling how steadily I was getting more and more freedom in my role, expanding the areas where I would get involved in. During the last five months I had gotten to do so much more and evolved in my role. I was loving the development and the growth of it. I was actually starting to feel more like a partner with the producers and presenters instead of an assistant. I guess I had Grimmy and the Harry projects to thank for that.

When the clock finally hit 6pm we didn't waste any time to flee the office. It was late for us to get off work this late, if you start work late- you finish late. Even if it was work, it was still Saturday so we had decided to treat ourselves. "Bosses order" was the exact word from Grimmy. I loved how he only used that title for our benefit and utterly hated it when it came to any other circumstances.

Since it was Saturday neither of us was about to go home. I dragged him with me to Casper's bar. I knew that it would most likely be crowded now, but that was the perks of knowing the staff- you would always get a place to sit.