12. Thorns

-Arch-

-Arch-

When I woke up, I had such a massive headache that it nearly knocked me out cold again. I kept my eyes closed and tried not to move, and slowly, the pain started fading. I couldn't understand why I was in pain. I couldn't understand anything, actually. I wasn't even sure I knew my name.

After I finally understood I was a living, breathing being, I carefully opened one eye. Two seemed like too much, but all I could see was a wall, so I had to open them both. Mom and Dad were there, staring at me with worry on their faces.

"Joseph!" Mom breathed out and hurried to sit on my bed, the mattress sifting under me so much it made my headache worse again.

"I have a killer headache," I muttered at her. "Why?"

"Don't you remember?" she asked cautiously. "You had a... You were..."

The way she snapped her mouth shut was a clue, and no matter the pain, my head still kicked into gear.

"I was what? Attacked?"

That was all I needed, though. The memories returned, both good and bad, and suddenly, I had a million questions on my mind.

But the questions vanished only a second later. I looked up at the ceiling, not hearing my mother trying to lie her way out of explaining what really happened – she was too worried I'd get overwhelmed, I suppose. I didn't really care.

The world was... silent.

"I can't feel anything," I whispered, silencing her.

"Y-you don't...?" Dad trailed off, looking scared.

"The warnings are gone," I said. "My gift was broken."

"Oh," they both breathed out, relaxing in their seats. "We know."

I peered at them both. They didn't look too concerned that my ability was gone. To me, it was like I'd lost my head. Yes, it had made me sick a lot lately, and yes, I had wished I never had that ability countless of times, but now that it was actually gone, I wanted it back.

This emptiness was much more horrible than being sick. At least I was getting it back. The sooner, the better.

"What happened to you when you...? What did you see?" Mom asked quietly.

"Our world was burning. The ground was shaking and breaking. Even the air was on fire..." I trailed off for a moment. "But that wasn't the scary part. There was someone evil. Someone much more stronger than the Shadow Walkers and their minions we faced."

"Who was it?" Dad asked.

I shook my head. "I don't know... Even the gods didn't know..."

"Gods?"

"There were four of them. And..." I trailed off once more, thinking about that friend Selene mentioned. "Maybe five."

"Maybe?"