Chapter 50

Shanice's POV

I get up from the wood bench and I leave the game soon after I hear Derek and Veronica fighting.

Everyone sighs and laughs at us for ruining the game but I couldn't care less.

I wait for them to be done and I see Veronica crying walking away from Derek.

What the hell is happening between them?

I go to Derek and he is facing the woods.

"Derek?" I mutter and he turns to me, visibly upset. I don't see him often like this and he isn't really easy to upset.

I'm trying so hard to like Veronica but she is only causing trouble and I can't stand seeing my friend getting hurt because of her.

"What happened?" I walk to him and he isn't even looking at me.

He finally looks at me and I let him take his time to respond.

"It's about Veronica," he mutters and I nod.

"I know, but what's the problem?"

"She is... I don't know- I can't be around her now." His reply makes me quite surprised but it's still pleasing to hear this.

I want everything to be back to how it was. He is always running around trying to save her.

"I don't understand those mixed signals and it frustrates me," he continues and I nod, trying to understand what he is talking about but I don't have any idea.

"She says she cares about me and then jumps into Alex's arms whenever he is around. And... that fucking idiot-" He clenches his jaw and takes a break.

Alexander is my friend too. He was never super close to Derek but now they seem to dislike each other, only because of that little brat.

"I have never been the jealous type," he explains.

It's true, but he also never really cared about a girl in that way, not even when he dated that girl for a year at sixteen years old.

"I can't believe I'm going to say this but... just give her time. And about that Alex thing-" I try to explain but he cuts me off.

"I don't know for sure about them. I was just too angry and I made her cry for something I'm not even sure about."

"God, I'm an idiot," he spits, clenching his fists.

"Go talk to her," I force myself to encourage him, not for Veronica, just for him.

I truly wish Derek the best, I never thought it could be possible to consider someone family when they aren't even related to you.

"I told her I don't want to be around her, and it's bullshit."

"Don't be pushy. Just give her some time," I say and he seems to agree.

"Go check on her for me, please," he says and I nod.

I give him a quick hug and I walk to Veronica's tent.

I wait outside, trying to understand if she is inside but I don't see any light.

I look over at the fire pit and everyone is still laughing and drinking, but she isn't there.

"Veronica?" I call out her name as I'm near the tent and she doesn't reply.

I turn on my phone flash and I unzip the tent.

I put the flash right on her face and I gasp once I see Veronica laying down, her whole body is jerking and her mouth is half open and foam is coming out.