Chapter Twenty: The Morning After

ONE MONTH EARLIER

I woke up in Riven's bed and sat up immediately before finding one of his t-shirts and pulling it over my head. As I stood up, I looked at him. He was still fast asleep so I decided to leave him. I then walked downstairs and picked up my shorts which had been left on the floor from last night and I pulled them on before leaving the house.

I found myself wandering around for ages before I pulled my phone out and tried calling a Kenna. The phone didn't even ring. She had blocked my number. "Fuck!" I shouted as I put my phone back into my pocket before running my fingers through my hair. I was now crying. The makeup I hadn't taken off of my face last night was beginning to smudge under my eyes and as I wiped away the tears, black stained my fingers.

I knocked on the door of Kenna's house and I waited for someone to come to the door. Her brother answered it and frowned when he saw me. "She doesn't want to see you." He told me.
"Please." I frowned. "I just want to talk to her. I need to talk to her."
"I'm sorry." The boy then said before going to close the door. I tried to push back but he was stronger than I was was and the door was shut. I hit it several times as I screamed for him to let me in before I slid back against the door and to the floor.

***

"There you are." Riven smiled as I approached him in the kitchen. "I was beginning to think you'd run off from me." I only frowned as jumped up and sat down in the kitchen side. "Did you want to talk about last night?"
"What do you want me say?" I asked him.
"I just figured it should be spoken about."
"I love you, Riv. I do." I admitted. "But... not in the way that you want me too."
"Is it because of Sky?"
"I'm not in love with him." I sighed as I jumped back down to my feet. "Why does everybody think that?"
"I wouldn't blame you if you were. He's the nice guy. He cares." Riven said. "What do you people say about me?"
"You're a better person than you think you are." I smiled. "Stop comparing yourself to Sky."
"So, are we just gonna pretend like last night didn't happen? Because I can't do that, Eira." I then frowned again.
"I should go." I said, softly. "I can find a car back to Alfea. I should probably spend some time with Farah anyway."
"Don't go." He told me.
"I don't want to, believe me."
"So stay."

I took a deep breath and nodded. "I don't want to lose you as a friend, Riv. No matter what."
"I don't want to lose you, either." I smiled and wrapped my arms around the boy's waist.
"I guess it's a good thing that everything's out in the open." I teased. "I did kind of suspect that you had a thing for me."
"No, you didn't." Riven said.
"Believe what you will." I grinned as I pulled back. "I'm gonna go and have a shower." Riven then nodded and I headed for the kitchen door.
"Eira?" I turned around when I heard my name. "Could you maybe not mention any of this to Sky?" He asked. "About me sort of..."
"Expressing your feelings?" I questioned. The boy nodded. "Don't worry. He doesn't need to know you've gone all soft."
"Fuck off. I haven't gone soft!" He claimed.
"Uh-huh. You keep telling yourself that." I laughed.
"Eira Dowling, you take that back." Riven told me, smiling. He then started to run after me and I screamed playfully as I started to run up the stairs with him following me closely behind.

"Leave me alone." I laughed as we reached the top of the stairs. Riven grabbed my wrist and pulled me back towards him before pinning me back against the wall.
"Not until you take it back." He told me, grinning.
"No." I said. "I won't do it." We locked eyes for a second and I smiling before ducking under Riven's arm and running into the bathroom where he followed me in before I could shut the door. We then began to play fight in the bathroom before I kicked Riven's leg and he fell into the bath, taking me with him. We then looked at each other and burst out laughing. "I'm sorry." I smiled.

The laughter soon died down and we stayed sat in the bath for a few moments. "For what it's worth, I did have a good time this summer." I admitted.
"I did, too." Riven said. "I mean... remember when we were at that one party where you threw up everywhere. I'm pretty sure you kissed about five people that night."
"Okay, that was you." I laughed. "And I remember because I was busy looking after you the entire night."
"Oh, shit." The boy whispered. "It was me, yeah." We both then laughed before signing and Riv's phone started to ring. "It's Sky."
"Go." I smiled. "I need to shower anyway and you can decide what we do tonight."
"Good, because there's actually this party I wanted to go to and-"
"As long as there's alcohol and weed, I'm there." I grinned as I climbed out of the bath before pulling him out. "Tell Sky, I'll FaceTime him in a bit."
"Okay." Riven finished before leaving the bathroom. I then shut and locked the door behind him before jumping in the shower.