Chapter 22| AYA

"Stop crying, My Aya. I am here, and I will never leave you. I will replace all the sadness, hurt, and pains you felt before with happiness and my love for you. Please believe that."

Looking at Cid's face, seeing his sincere feelings of concern for me through his eyes, I now know that the tears falling from my eyes were tears of both happiness and gratefulness. Who would have thought that 13 years after we both lost our loved ones, we would be here for each other? 

"I love you, Cid. Thank you!"

"I love you more than you know, My Aya! Where are your parents buried?"

"In New York. I haven't visited them since Jane took me to Worcester."

"Would you like to visit them, Aya? Then, we can go to New York before we return to Worcester."

"Can we Cid? Are you sure?"

"Of course, My Aya. I am sure they will be happy to see us together. The same way my mom is happy right now."

"Oh, Cid! Thank you so much for doing so much for me."

"You still don't know how great an impact you have on me, right? So I should be thankful for you coming into my life, My Aya!"

"I wonder how best of friends your mom and mine are, Cid?"

"For all we know, maybe the three of them planned "us " in heaven! Hey Mom! Is this one of your cupid stunts? You have impeccable taste! I love you, Mom!"

I felt a flash of red on my face as Cid said those words. I still can't get hold of the idea that Cid is expressing his love for me. And I am still overwhelmed by what life is showing me right now. Like everything falling into place seemed too perfect. Too good to be true.

***

Before dinner time, Cid drove us to his dad's house. It was the first mansion we passed by in their estate the night we arrived in Bentonville. As Cid promised, Dean Waldon, his dad, is a humble and genuine soul. From the moment we met, he made me feel like I'm family. He never stopped thanking me for accepting Cid, including all his flaws, as he said. 

"You know, Son, I think my choice to send you to WS Worcester is your mom's doing."

"Why did you say, Dad?"

"The day I decided which W I should send you, I asked your mom for a sign. And as I looked into our W map, I can only see the Worcester branch."

I smiled while listening to their father-son conversation over dinner. Observing both Waldons convinced me that Cid was born to a father who truly loves and cares for him. His dad may have changed after his mom's death, leaving Cid in the care of other people for years, but I tried to think that maybe that was his way of coping with his wife's unexpected death. But the way I see them now, he never stopped caring for his son. He got lost in all those years. And I am glad that they both found each other again. 

I was so happy to hear some stories about his mom and my mom's friendship with Cid's dad. He said although his wife had mentioned my mom many times; they didn't get the chance to meet in person. But he is sure that both women's friendship is something we should all look up to and treasure. We said our goodbyes with happy hearts. His parting words touched me.

"Aya, I am so happy to have met you finally. I will forever be grateful for your love and acceptance of Cid. And I look forward to having you as my daughter officially. I hope soon!"

"I am so honored to meet you, Sir. Thank you for welcoming me warmly."

"You should start calling me Dean, or even better, Dad Aya! You are always welcome here!"

And we gave each other a warm and tight hug as we said goodbye. Then Cid and I went back to his house for the night. 

The next day was the day set by Cid to give me a tour of Bentonville, starting from the Compton Gardens. First, we walked through the gardens to the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art. It displays works from the colonial era to the present. It has sprawling grounds, including forest trails, sculpture gardens, and waterside pavilions. Afterward, we went to The Scott Family Amazeum, which offers hands-on Science and Art exhibits. Finally, we had pictures in the Bentonville Town Square. There we tried some cafes and shops. It was a tiring but enjoyable day. 

Since Cid and I decided we would have a day in New York to visit my parents' grave, we left Bentonville the next day. We arrived in New York before lunchtime. I insisted to Cid that we shouldn't check into a hotel anymore since we could immediately leave for Worcester after visiting my parents. But he didn't allow it. It surprised me he already had booked the Oculus Suite at the Four Seasons. So instead, he insisted we stay for the night in NYC before flying back to Massachusetts the next day. 

While waiting for our lunch inside our suite, I stood facing the glass window and tried to absorb the views of Santiago Calatrava's breathtaking symbol of a phoenix rising, known as The Oculus. I still can't grasp the idea that I am inside one of New York's luxury suite hotels, overlooking the view of the city. The city that I left five years ago didn't seem to change. Everything around it is still fast phased. I felt nervous and excited at the same time. I wonder how Brooklyn is now? And all the people I left behind.

(Source: Joann Gonchar, FAIA, Architectural Record)

"Is there something wrong?" Cid's voice asked.

I moved my head to the motion that nothing was wrong. Then, suddenly, I felt his arms wrapped around me from behind. His hug feels warm and protective. 

"Everything is ok. I can't help but wonder about life, my life. I never thought I'd be back in New York in a different light. Who would have thought that after everything that happened I'll be back here oozing with happiness with my greatest love, with you Cid?"

"I am so glad you feel happy when you are with me, My Aya! I always want to make you happy!"

He started placing soft, small kisses on my back, my shoulder, and my ears. Finally, I turned around and faced him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and gave in to his signature soft and passionate kisses. But before we could get lost in the moment, the sound of the door for our lunch snapped us back. 

"If this was my hotel, I will fire whoever is outside that door right now!" said Cid in frustration.

I giggled in a teasing way as I pushed him towards the main door of the suite.

"You better open that door, Mr. Waldon, because after lunch, we still have to visit my parents!"

***