Chapter 30- An awkward encounter

After the class, Hawk invited a bunch of the Cobra Kai's to his house to watch a movie Johnny recommended. "Hey you coming Y/N?" Miguel asked, grabbing his bag. Y/N shook her head. "No, I'm good," She replied with a smile. "Well, maybe another time," Miguel stated. He hugged her before exiting the dojo, leaving her alone.

She let out a heavy sigh and ran her fingers through her hair. Truth be told, she didn't want to hang out with the group. Yes, she loved Aisha and Miguel and adored Johnny but she was starting to get sick of Cobra Kai. She wasn't going to quit, she wouldn't do that to Johnny, but some of the other students had been acting differently since the tournament. They've been more aggressive, more mean. Even sweet little Bert who was always quiet.

"Hey what are you still doing here?" Johnny asked walking out of his office. He had changed out of his black gi into a black Metallica shirt and a pair of jeans. "Just some thinking. I was just about to leave." Y/N replied. "Well I have to go to the hardware store to get a new mirror, would you like to come?" Johnny offered. "Sure why not. We'll have some father-daughter time." She teased.

Johnny rolled his eyes. Although he sometimes acted annoyed at her "dad jokes", he secretly liked them. They reminded him that maybe he wasn't as bad a person as he thought he was. The two climbed into his Firebird and took off. "I'm choosing the music," Y/N stated, flipping through channels on the radio. "It better be something good and not some of that garbage your generation listens to." He said making Y/N laugh. She switched through the channels until she stopped on an 80's channel. "Now playing The Boys of Summer by Don Henley." The host announced. "Ooh, I love this song!" Y/N exclaimed turning up the volume.

"Didn't know you knew this song," Johnny stated, glancing sideways at Y/N who was mouthing the lyrics. "Oh yeah this song is my jam and you are definitely singing it with me," Y/N replied. "I can't sing." Johnny retorted. "Me neither but who cares? Oh, it's coming up!"

But I can see you
Your brown skin in the shining sun
You got your hair combed back and your
Sunglasses on, baby
I can tell you, my love for you will still be strong
After the boys of summer have gone

The two of them sang, well more like screamed the song lyrics, laughing the whole way. If anyone saw them from the outside, they would assume they were a father and daughter out together. By the time the song finished, Johnny had pulled into the parking lot. They both got out and walked into the store, with Johnny looking down at a piece of paper in his hand.

The two walked around the store, looking for someone to ask about the piece of glass. Y/N spotted a worker with red hair down an aisle and nudged Johnny. The two approached him. "Hey man." Johnny greeted walking up to the guy. "Hey," he replied looking up. "I'm looking to replace a 4-by-8 piece of mirror." Johnny read from his paper. The guy just grinned at Johnny, pretty much ignoring what he said, and started gawking at his shirt.

"Metallica! Noice!"

"Rock on, man."

"Rock on indeed, man. The '80s were the best era ever. The best era ever. Right? I mean I was only like five years old when it happened, but still. You remember Caddyshack?"

"Huh. Yeah, sure." Johnny replied, his voice strained. Y/N could tell he was getting annoyed by this guy. Johnny wasn't exactly the type of guy you could walk up to and have a conversation with. "Yeah, you remember the gopher who used to dance? The..." The man started doing a dance and making a weird chirping sound, trying to copy the gopher. Y/N has seen the movie and frankly, he wasn't too far off with his impression.

"Whatever the noise was. Hey, my question, is that a real gopher that they got to do that, or is that like something they did-"

"Listen, guy, I don't know. I was partying with babes back then. Do you have the mirror glass or not?"

The worker was taken aback. He cleared his throat and nodded, rambling on about getting it before walking away. As soon as he was gone, Y/N started laughing. "What's so funny?" Johnny asked. "The whole hot babes thing. The way you said it was hilarious and his face was priceless." Y/N replied. Johnny chuckled before looking around the aisles. "Mr. LaRusso, it's uh... It's over here." A voice spoke, catching Johnny and Y/N's attention.

"That's a deck screw. We could use that to hang the shelf, but the screw will be doing all the work." Another voice replied. Y/N and Johnny peeked around the corner to see Daniel with a board tucked under his arm and Robby standing next to him. "Eventually, it'd give out under all this weight. What we really need is a toggle bolt."

"It's not as big."

"No, it's not. But it's got a little secret. See this spring? Once it goes through the wood, it opens up and uses the whole wall to support the shelf."

"Wait, let me get the lesson here. You're saying that in life, I can't do everything by myself and I have to rely on other people?"

"No. I was just teaching you about shelving. But if you can bring a metaphor out of that, you're a better student than I ever was."

The worker who had helped Johnny and Y/N walked back over and clapped his hands. "Hey, Metallica man. We got that mirror glass all set up for you.  So, just come up front and pay for it." He said rather loudly, catching Daniel's attention. Johnny and Daniel's eyes met and Daniel sighed. "Johnny." He mumbled, making Robby look up.

The worker, noticing who Johnny was staring at gasped. "Woah. LaRusso Auto? Chopping prices! I love that commercial. I love karate too. I mean, I never got to do it. My mom wouldn't let me so...Hey you look just like him. Is this your son?" The worker asked, pointing to Robby. Y/N winced, noticing Johnny's hurt expression. "Hey man. Put the glass on the loading dock. Give me a second." Johnny told him. He looked between the two pairs and nodded, slowly walking away.

"What are you guys doing here?" Johnny asked the two. "Just working on a little project. That's all. What about you two?" Daniel replied, redirecting the question. "Same," Johnny replied. An awkward silence fell between the four as they stared at each other. "Here..uh gimme those I'll go pay. Meet you buy the car." Daniel said, taking the screws from Robby's hands. "I'll help you, Mr. LaRusso," Y/N stated, speed walking away from the father and son.

Once the two were out of earshot, Y/N released a breath. "Well, that was awkward." She stated. Daniel chuckled. "I'll say." He replied. Daniel paid and the two headed out to the car to put the things away. Just as Daniel was closing the trunk, Robby walked out with an annoyed expression on his face.

"How'd it go back there?" Daniel asked. "Same way it always goes. Cares more about his rivalry with you than he does about me." Robby spat. "Oh and Y/N he told me to tell you that he appreciates you coming with him but he doesn't need your help and you can come with us."

Robby then walked over to the car and got in slamming the door. Daniel and Y/N exchanged a quick look before getting into the car. Y/N felt something in the pit of her stomach, something she couldn't explain. Almost like a gut feeling that something was coming. Something bad.
------------------------------------------------------
A/N: I just realized I mentioned Miguel once this whole chapter lol. I'm gonna start adding him more I mean this is a story about him. Also for the song Y/N and Johnny sang in the car, I couldn't decide between The Boys of Summer, Cruel Summer or Everybody Wants to Rule the World because Boys of Summer and Everybody Wants to Rule the World are two of my favorite songs but Cruel Summer was in The Karate Kid. I'm happy with my choice tbh.

Also quick storytime. So I took a nap today and I woke up and I went, "Man I need to text Miguel before he gets worried." Until I realized...Miguel isn't real. That's how invested I am with my own story lol.

Anyways love you all and stay hydrated.