29. the ring

-one week on the ring-

Our new home was everything that we could have hoped for. All systems were intact, the algae farm still viable as we hoped, and there was room, so much room for all of us.

In fact, the Ring was the most luxurious place I had lived to date. Sure, I'd grown up on the Ark...but had I really?

The first few days consisted of all of us trying to grow accustomed to our new living situation. We did the normal things that teenagers did...fought over who got the best room, ran around trying to find cool items that had been left behind.

But, like all good things, that had to end. It was time to get to work.

"We need to make some rules." I announced one night at dinner, sitting down with the group, a pen and paper in hand. "The girls and I were talking, and we have some things we think needed to be written down."

Murphy scoffed. "What is this, pre-school?"

I looked over at him, raising my brows, unamused. "I wouldn't know."

Bellamy choked on the rations he was eating as the rest of the group looked around with wide eyes.

As Murphy looked over to me with a shocked look, I let out a loud laugh.

He joined in my laughter, and soon so did everyone else.

The rules didn't get made that night. My comment resulted in me having to explain to Emori and Echo what the hell we were talking about.

The rest of the night consisted of us explaining life on the Ark before. Emori was greatly intrigued, Echo pretended to be.

It was a good night.

-one year on the ring-

"Good!" Bellamy praised, lunging out of the way to avoid my punch. "Again."

I sighed, brushing the hair out of my face as I looked over at him. "Why?" I panted, "So you can beat me again."

For the better part of the last year, Bellamy had been training me in combat. He wasn't an expert, and clearly neither was I, but I felt stronger and more agile that I had in my entire life.

Bellamy assumed a defensive position. "No." he encouraged. "Because you're getting close to beating me."

I rolled my eyes, returning to my earlier stance. "Fine."

I swung at him, and he easily dodged it. I had to duck to avoid his arm that was flying toward me.

He refused to punch me, but did not shy away from hitting me with his arms, legs and any other necessary body parts.

Instead of standing up fully, I swung my leg out, knocking Bellamy off kilter. I took that as my chance to place my hand on his chest, my foot behind his own as I drove him toward the ground. He landed with a thud, a small gasp coming from his lips.

"Hah!" I breathed, looking down at him with a huge grin. "I did it!"

Bellamy look up at me with a proud smile. "Good job, babe." he praised, wincing as he moved slightly.

"You're going easy on her." A voice called, entering the main area.

I pulled Bellamy up, each of us turning to look at the approaching figure. I tried to resist rolling my eyes as she approached.

It was no secret that Bellamy and I were not exactly Echo's biggest fans...I mean she had tried to murder Octavia.

"Yeah, right." Bellamy laughed. "I haven't gone easy on her in the last three months."