CHAPTER •°• five

IT WAS CHARMS LESSON with Ravenclaws and they were supposed to study water-making spells with a special focus on Aguamenti. Except that Remus couldn't focus on the book, for some reason.

Wait no, not for some reason. He knew the specific reason for his lack of attention and that reason was Black muttering every word that he read, while sitting next to Moony. 

Sirius did have that habit for quite a while - if Remus recalled correctly it started when he for once actually tried to pay attention in the lesson, somewhere in the fifth grade.

Not that he didn't learn before, but first, fifth grade was when Remus started to sit more with Sirius and second, it was the time when Black focused a bit more on learning than he did before. 

Perhaps it was because of the OWLs or maybe simply because he started to mature a bit.

At any rate, Remus was mostly used to it, but this time, it distracted him more than usual. He wasn't quite sure why, but the sound of Padfoot's words inevitably reminded him of the boy's voice when he talked with Maggie at night...

Ugh. Remus just didn't really like when Maggie slept with Sirius, which was like... all the time. It's not like he didn't like Magie herself. No.

He just didn't like when she was near Sirius, because she didn't seem like a right person for him. Remus never really thought like that about any of Sirius's other girlfriends but then from the other side, none was with him for that long and Moony didn't even remember names of any of them.

But Maggie seemed to be very close to Padfoot and Remus just didn't feel good about it. He actually felt awful about it.

And when Sirius muttered like that during the lesson and Moony couldn't cover his ears with his pillow and pretend that he was asleep, he just couldn't help but look at him everytime he said something a bit louder than the rest of his monologue. 

And when he glanced at Sirius, he started to list everything that Maggie didn't deserve - his looks, but also his sense of humor, awkward smiles, knowing stares and beautiful mind, covered under a layer of idiocy.

Remus sighed, trying to look away from Black, as not to get caught on staring - he didn't want anyone to think that he was creepy, he wasn't, he was just... astonished by his friend.

Ugh. Remus frowned on the last sentence and looked down at his book, finally managing to look away from Sirius. The last sentence sounded really weird, even for himself. But just... he couldn't quite tell what was that pushed him towards Padfoot.

He never felt like that about James or Peter or Lily. He never really thought that, for example, Mary didn't deserve James. Like, sure he also didn't think that she was a perfect match for Potter, but he never gave it a second thought, even though Prongs was with her longer than Sirius was with Maggie.

But he still didn't think that he disliked Maggie. No, she wasn't a bad person in general and he knew that. He just... he liked Sirius a lot.

Yes. Once he thought about it it all started to make sense. He was worried about his friend that he would make a mistake and he didn't want him to be with Maggie, because she just didn't seem like she was his soulmate. And almost no one who decided to get together with a person who wasn't their soulmate ended up heartbroken.

Remus just wanted Sirius to be happy, and above all, he wanted Sirius to be close to him. 

Moony shook his head looking suddenly at Sirius, who was still muttering something under his breath. That thought hit him hard and yet he knew that he couldn't deny that feeling. He wanted Sirius to be close to him, not to Maggie.