[Act 1] Chapter 28: Service of Nobility

Salomon Klass sat at the same table as Erenn and his top nobles, Gaspard and Fleur, along with Vera and her second-in-command Lera. While the staff of Hotel Adlon happily provided every residence inside a free serving of Labskaus, a dish common amongst sailors and seamen, paid for by the German government, Erenn took it upon himself to display the wealth of Zaurus by ordering a boiled Schweinshaxe and a Frankfurter Kranz cake and agreeing to pay for it himself, much to the subtle protest of Salomon and the accusations of Vera of a display of noble arrogance. On the house, free beer was provided to everyone, except Vera.

Salomon's face went shallow at the thought of a Finnish officer assigned to the Germans would be the one to cater for a one-eyes king and a female knight, as he did back in the city of Guinevere for the dark elves. But then again, there were worse things he could be doing, like lying on the ground with Nazis looming over him. He can at least savour the thought of at least treating them to the nice things that Germany had to offer people from another world, which was probably something the Germans themselves wouldn't have done if one was to take into account the history of German wars.

Outside the main table, the Knights of Zaurus and the Knights of the Silver Hand sat on completely different sides in the dining area. The tensions between the female and male knights were prominent in the air, even when they weren't looking directly at each other. Even when they were forced to leave their swords and armour back in their rooms, leaving everyone dressed in casual attire, they still looked like they wanted to slice each other up. If not for the precedes of the waitresses and Salomon, it just might come to that.

Salomon spotted this as a clash between reformation and conservatism. Although a lot of people in Europe sit on the conservative side, especially the reactionary Germans, one can not be impressed with the organised army of female knights in shining armour who stood their ground, especially Salomon, who compared the courage of these women to the Lottas Svärd of his great Finland, women who were willing to do whatever it takes to be amongst the men. Even if the White Death was here, he too would agree with him.

Another thing Salomon saw, from the Silver Hand's perspective, was that this is a reckoning. Werner told him on the train that took them straight to the Gate on what Erenn and his men did during the day Guinevere was supposed to be crowned, how he sliced Vera's closest friends in a display of brutality. And now, they were forced to call him an ally since his treaty with the Germans stipulates that they are as close to the Archduchy of Zaurus as they are with the legitimate Arthurian Empire.

It still made Salomon's head cramp on how politics worked. But, he reminded himself that there were even more unholy alliances that happened before in their own current history; the fascist, slaving CSA allies with the British and the French; the United States of America joining the Central Powers; Manchukuo signing a separate alliance with the Germans to restore the Qing Dynasty without the knowledge of the Japanese government until much later. This would be no different as long as the benefits were mutual.

"Well, I must say," said Erenn, patting Salomon on the back, "you Germans know how to cook the finest meals."

"I am no German, your Grace," Salomon corrected, showing courtesies.

"Your Grace?" Erenn chuckled. "If I was a Grace I would be sitting at a place of more prestige rather than a simple hotel with a German Major and a jumped-started woman who thinks she is a true knight."

"I'm sorry, but this is the best that the Germans can afford when it is on moderate lockdown, for fear that something on your side of the Gate might come out, your Grace."

"It wasn't on lockdown when the women went to that bathhouse and let the magician go towards the library."

"Which was guarded by a hundred soldiers in both establishments, your Majesty."