Chapter 10

Ben's POV:

It's been a few weeks since Ev and Aiden returned to school. Some parents or guardians would be glad, but I miss those kids a little too much while I'm at work. Even Aiden.

"Dr Carter we need you over in OR 6. Dr Hernandez is caught up in a board meeting." Maya rushes out.

I gave her a quick nod and rushed into the operating room sterilising and getting my scrubs on.

I love my job with everything I have. I love the sense of accomplishment when I've figured out how to help someone with a complicated case. I love the happiness radiating off of people and their families when they've been treated and cured. I love the sound of the new born babies crying, a new life.

Once I had my scrubs on, I immediately rushed to the table and started the surgery. I was working quite closely with
Athena, aka Dr Hernandez on this specific case. We usually work together but there are many occasions where we have to work separately, but everyone knows we're the problem solvers of this hospital. We're basically Dora and Boots. Don't bother questioning that example we all know Everly's behind that one.

A good 5 hours later the surgery was successful bringing a huge grin on my face. Even though I do this daily, the feeling of a successful surgery always feels like the first.

"I'm sorry for suddenly throwing the surgery at you Ben but you're the only doctor that's been working closely with me on this one excluding my interns." Athena said apologetically as she sat down in front of me stealing a couple fries from my plate.

"Don't worry about it. You know how I much I enjoy it. Besides I know you would do the same for me." I said with a smile.

"Thanks aga-" she was cut off by the loud ringing of my phone.

My phone?

No one ever really calls my phone while I'm at work. And by no one I mean the kids. Yes I refer to Elijah, Austin and Aiden as kids too. Even if they do, they call the reception to leave a message if they need anything.

Athena looked at my phone sharing the same confused look.

Putting my burger down, I picked up my phone from the table and glanced at the contact number becoming even more confused. Aiden.

"What's wrong Aid?" I questioned the very second I answered the phone.

"Thank god you answered." He said as he let out a sigh of relief.

"Get down to the ER right now." He said frantically.

"What's happened Aiden can you please explain?" I asked worriedly as I shot up from my seat and ran towards the ER with Athena following closely behind giving me a worried look.

"Hey! Don't fucking grab her like that!" I heard him shout at someone as the line got cut off.

"What happened Ben?" Athena asked worriedly as we ran down the corridor.

"I really don't know but we better get to the ER quick." I said as pushed open the doors.

Athena and I scanned the ER looking for Aiden.

"There!" She said as she grabbed my arm and pulled me towards Aiden who was shouting at two of the interns.

"I told you to stop fucking touching her. Can't you see she scared!" He shouted as we got closer.

Without a second thought I pulled back the curtain and immediately looked at my poor baby on the bed.

"Thank god you're here." Aiden sighed.