five

"God I hate Shakespeare."

"That came out of left field," Lisa replied, as the raggedy old elevator came to a stop on the 12th floor.

As they stepped out into the shabby hallway that led to Roseanne's mom's apartment, Roseanne let out a frustrated groan. "Sorry, it's that damn paper. I was up all night, and I still didn't finish. I suck at writing."

"Look at the bright side, I sold two of your photographs and one of your sketches today."

Roseanne brightened at the news. "Yeah?" She knocked on the door marked 122C. "When were you planning on telling me that?"

Lisa shrugged. "Was gonna wait 'til the next time you got mad at me...but I figured this was a good a time as any."

Before Roseanne had a chance to reply, the door opened and she was swept into hug. Her sister, Alice, kissed her cheek several times before letting go. "The ugly is here!" she announced.

She received a slap on the arm. "Oh, you're one to talk, Ms. Ugly," Roseanne countered jokingly. Alice was anything but ugly, and she was sure she knew it. It had been a few months since she'd last seen her, and as she turned to hug Lisa, Roseanne took the opportunity to observe how well she was looking. Her dark hair was slightly longer than when she'd last seen her. She looked taller and fitter than she remembered. "Have you been working out?"

Alice winked at her. "Joined a gym." She flexed her arm as evidence.

Roseanne glanced quickly at Lisa who was making a show of fanning herself. She laughed.

Clare Park stepped into view a second later. She dried her hands on her skirt as she walked toward them. "Rosie," she greeted Roseanne with a kiss on the cheek, and then turned to greet Lisa. When she stepped away from the girls, she said, "Mason and Ryujin went to the store for some groceries. They'll be back soon." She ushered them toward the living room. "Come, sit. I'll bring you something to drink."

Roseanne sat down as instructed and gazed around the apartment. It was small by anybody's standards. The living room barely fit the couch she was sitting on; but it was home. Paintings and framed pictures of South Korea decorated the walls. Roseanne had never been to the country, but Mason and Alice spoke of it all the time. They'd moved to New York shortly before Mason and Roseanne's mother had met.

"So how's the art world these days?"

Roseanne glanced up into Alice's curious brown eyes and shrugged. She didn't want to say that she'd reached the end of a creative road. "Good," she said instead and tried to convince herself that it wasn't a lie. It was almost too easy to forget that she hadn't done anything in weeks.

"I sold some of her stuff today while she was at class," Lisa boasted proudly. "And tons of people stopped to look and compliment the artwork."

"There is no money in art," Clare announced, returning from the kitchen with a tray of orange juice. "But no one ever listens to their mother."

Roseanne smiled, accepting a glass. "I listen to you."

"You listen to me?" and her mother rolled her eyes. She placed the tray down and sat down on the couch beside Alice. "How many times have I told you to wear something nicer? I don't know how Jungkook puts up with you looking like that all of the time."

Roseanne glanced down at her paint-stained jeans and baggy sweatshirt. "What's wrong with this?"

Clare replied with a look that obviously meant the question did not dignify a response. "I'm just glad you'll have Jungkook to take care of you, is all I'm going to say. Lord knows that boy is going places."