43 | thirty-three

43 | thirty-three

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Sitting here, across from Santiago, a wave of contempt washes over me and I know he can see it on my face. All I can do is stare at him, poison dripping from my glare as I sip my whiskey.

When he suggested we meet at Club de Caballeros, I had refused because I didn't know how Monique would feel about me going to a pub where women in practically nothing roam the floor, looking to sit on people's laps.

While I have nothing against the women who work here, it's just not for me. Not anymore.

"You know," Santiago starts, resting his brown liquor on the table between us, "There was a time when you used to love coming here. Especially with me."

I roll my eyes and say nothing.

He continues, "You would get a girl on your lap as soon as we walked in and by the end of the night, you'd leave to go to the bathroom and come back, this goofy grin on your face." A conniving smirk grows on his face, "Who knew it would be an American that made you settle down..."

I fight back the urge to say anything.

He doesn't take the hint because he still talks, "She got in your head, Matteo. Made you lose sight of the man you used to be."

This makes me release an amused scoff, "Exactamente. The man I used to be. People change, Santiago. Not you, though. You're still the same old gilipollas." asshole. "What exactly is it that you gain from doing this? Are you not pathetic enough?"

Santiago huffs out a laugh and waves one of the waitresses down for another drink, "I hope to gain power, Matteo." He says, making my eye twitch, "You abandoned me in a time when I needed you most, and those paychecks you sent me did nothing but remind me that you were the one in control, you were the one trying to solve the problem."

Fucking hell.

"This is me solving my own damn problem. I'll admit, I was stupid not pulling the same time you did — but I had my own insurance behind me." He smirks, "Half of your empire."

"No."

He chuckles spitefully at my quick interference and leans back in his seat. The waitress he'd hailed down sets his drink down and sends us both smiles before asking if I would like a refill.

"No, gracias."

She nods and walks away.

Just as she does, Santiago speaks up, "Half of your empire or I'll fight for it all."