Return to London

I return to the room and lie in the bed by the side of Penelope. Benedict opens one eye so that he may close it again as he winks at me, anthony deciding he should rather sleep in the chair than in the bed with his brothers. I think through what Anthony has said to me and for once, it seems to make some sense. He is correct, I am a bridgerton now and perhaps returning to see lord Granville shall not be a good idea and I could not possibly agree more with regards to my dresses! I do not wish to bring any further shame on their family, on my husband and so perhaps I should listen to what he says. That is the thought I fall to sleep with.

Once I wake up, I see everyone else has already risen and are getting ready for us to leave, seemingly waiting for me. "Oh! Someone should have woken me."

"I could not, you looked so peaceful." Benedict crouches down so that he can kiss my lips, stroking my wrist and letting out a happy little sigh. "We must return to London now, beautiful. I have packed all of your things already, you must only rise and we shall be able to go."

I do, and I climb into the carriage. Anthony insists that he must supervise colin and penelope and is reluctant to leave myself and my husband alone, but he must. Benedict cannot help but laugh. "You are aware she is my wife now? You cannot have any such problem with what we should do, it is no longer a scandal." He climbs in, and he takes my hand, helping me through and sitting me down beside him with a wide smile on his face, slamming the door shut so  that no one can come in before we have left. "We are alone at last!"

"Yes." I have to force a smile as he takes my hand, as I think mainly of what Anthony has said to me. As I look at him, I must resist the urge to frown. What is best for him and his reputation is for me to do what Anthony has suggested, to stop painting and dressing in purple and attending parties or doing anything at all that may call for gossip. "Yes, we are."

"I am certainly excited to be alone with you." His hands run up my thighs, and he presses his chest to my own as he catches me in a kiss, a little alarmed when I move away. "You do not wish to?"

"No, not in the carriage. It is not proper at all."

"And since when did we care about anything being proper?" He chuckles but does say any more on the matter and so changes the topic of conversation instead. "Is my wife looking forward to greeting my mama and sisters as part of the bridgerton family?" He smiles at me, seemingly not recognising that anything at all is wrong, or that I am so deep in thought. He is a man, I suppose. He does not always notice when things are not going so smoothly.

"I am nervous, actually. Quite nervous." I nod, moving my hand away from his slightly as I feel my heart thumping. Perhaps it is that the realisation has finally set in, this is no longer a love affair, this is the entirety of my life. I must make a good impression on his family, that much I know.

When we reach London, Penelope is sent instantly home and Benedict looks to me so that he might find out what I shall like to do. "Do you wish to return to the featherington home and find a new dress before I take you inside-"

"Nonsense, Benedict. You two must come inside and greet mama instantly. I do think that is only fair." Anthony scowls as he herds me towards the door, opening it with aggression and storming in. He throws his coat onto the chair and sighs, strolling around to search for his mother. "Mama. Mama! I have bought them home!"

I am nervous, I am extremely nervous. My husband does not seem to be whatsoever, he takes off his jacket and puts it in the same chair that Anthony has used, yawning. "It is good to be home. Perhaps I shall be able to gain a proper night's sleep now, I must say that I did not enjoy sleeping in the same bed as Colin whatsoever."

"And all the same, I did not enjoy sleeping in the same bed as you!" Colin smiles, laughing as he greets his mother. I stand up straight as I see her, feeling my hands beginning to sweat which is not so wonderful. "Mama. You are not so angry with me, are you?"

Colin embraces his mother and she does indeed wrap her arms around him. She is the very image of grace and of poise, and she is the very opposite of everything that my mother is and has been. It is no wonder that her children have turned out so angelic and I have the most brash and garish siblings that one could ever have. "I am not angry at all with you. However, I am with your brother." She glances to Benedict.

He only laughs, reaching down to hold my hand. I flinch and do not allow him to, but he thinks nothing of this. "You could never be angry with me, mama. I am sure of that. And anyway, I am the first of your children to be married, is that not wonderful? This is Peaches." Anthony is stood staring at me as Benedict leans down to kiss my lips, and I turn my head so that they land on my cheek instead. "Peaches, this is my mother."

"It is so lovely to meet you, lady bridgerton." I bow my head, thinking of all those lessons of politeness that my mother has taught me and implementing all of them. "A pleasure, in fact."

"She is your mother in law, Peachy. You needn't curtsy to her. She is not the queen!" My husband laughs, stroking the back of my head and kissing it gently. "Peaches is a very talented artist, mama. She is witty and she is lovely and she is everything I have ever wanted." He takes a finger to fix a fly away piece of hair that has attached itself to my face, and as Anthony narrows his eyes, I find myself taking an entire step backwards and away. "Anyway. Is there any dinner to be have? I am sincerely starved."