Chapter 23

How To Kill A Scandal

Bridgerton House, London

"Where were you all?" The Viscount Bridgerton asked loudly and firmly the moment everyone stepped foot in the house.

"I took them to Kensington Palace, Anthony," Charlotte said with a reassuring smile. "We only went there, I promise."

"Were you with him?" Anthony didn't have to point or name the person he was referring to.

"Yes," she nodded. "The entire time."

"Why? Where did you not want us to go?" Colin asked his brother, sternly. He knew exactly what his brother was thinking. "Let me rephrase that... Where did you not want me to go?"

"Is there something wrong, Brother?" Gregory asked the eldest, who looked down at him and shook his head.

"Nothing. You and Hyacinth must go and change clothes, it's been a long day," Benedict told them.

"Goodnight, Charlotte. Thank you for today," Hyacinth stood in front of her and made curtsy before running away upstairs.

"Thank you!" Gregory lightly bowed his head before he ran after his sister.

"Good night!" Charlotte exclaimed with a smile, which faded once they were out of sight. "Anthony, if you are to be mad at someone for them not being here, be mad at me, and we shall discuss this in your office like adults! Not children complaining in the middle of the hallway."

"There is nothing to discuss, Char. I just wanted to know where they were," he stated calmly, and sighed. "Colin cannot be anywhere near the Featherington House. Living in front of them is too compromising as it is."

"We've lived here and in front of them our whole lives, Anthony," Benedict frowned at his brother, who sighed in frustration. "I know this is a serious matter, Brother. But Charlotte is right. Let us not speak of this in the middle of the hallway."

"I'll leave you all to it then. And I—"

"In just a matter of weeks you will officially be a Bridgerton, but you are already part of this family. Therefore, you can be in here, and in all family meetings, discussions, or arguments we'll have," Anthony cut her off. He was being sincerely, but his tone was firm and serious. "Do you understand?"

"I do," Charlotte nodded with a small smile, and she had to admit she was a bit scared by his firm seriousness.

"To the drawing room. Mother is there," he stated calmly, and started going upstairs. Colin sighed and followed after him. Benedict looked at Charlotte with a small smile, grabbed her hand, and intertwined their fingers together.

"Welcome to the family," he said sarcastically, and she chuckled softly.

"I wouldn't have it any other way," she brought his hand to her lips, and kissed it. "Let's not keep the Viscount waiting."

The two chuckled and made their way to the drawing room. Once inside, Violet stood and greeted Charlotte with a small smile. The two women hugged briefly before each of them sat in a sofa, in front of one another. Benedict stood by the fireplace, Colin stayed by the door, and Anthony leaned on the couch right behind Charlotte.