21: Tortuga Part Two

At Tortuga, Mr. Gibbs was to interview potential 'crewmates'. You sat next to Jack. He was looking at his compass, he opened it and it would spin and spin without stopping. He cursed under his breath. You had tried holding the compass as well, but it also spinned for you.

"How long has that been happening?" you asked.

"Since..." he replied reluctantly, "I left Port Royal." He shook the compass.

"I see, why don't you just think of something specific instead of just the general feeling?" you suggested.

He nodded. He closed his eyes. He opened them and the compass. He looked down at it, it wasn't spinning but he shut it immediately.

"Hey, it wasn't spinning," You said, confused.

"Can I ask you something?" He sounded quite serious.

"Yes, anything." You weren't one to keep secrets.

"Do you, I mean, do I? I do. Maybe. You?" He rambled on for a bit. "What I mean is, I-"

"James?" You had looked up for a second and saw him. He looked terrible, dirty and unorganized. You rushed over to him. "Sorry Jack, one moment. Where have you been?"

He seemed to notice you for the first time. "Y/N?," he whispered. "You shouldn't be here, seeing me like this-"

You hugged him. He tensed but quickly relaxed and hugged you back. Then you got angry.

You had planned to marry James as soon as he came back from a voyage to try and catch Jack. Sure, no problem. He left the day after your engagement. But some time after you received a letter from him informing you that he had resigned his commission and broke off the engagement.

He claimed he couldn't face you after Triopolis. He had been so close to catching Jack that he decided to follow them through the hurricane. It ended in disaster. He disappeared and you didn't hear from him again. It had devastated you. But you slowly got over it and built yourself up only to find him in Tortuga as a penniless drunk.

You pushed him away. "How dare you!"

"I didn't want to hurt you," he pleaded.

"By breaking off our engagement? Leaving me alone? Jack, where are you going?" You turned to see him hiding behind a plant.

He laughed nervously. James pulled out his gun and pointed it at Jack. He was going to shoot him but you lifted his arm, causing him to shoot a chandelier which , in turn, shot someone's drink. Fantastic.

Chaos erupted. Not unusual. Everyone fought everyone. "Time to go," said Jack in your ear. You nodded and looked back at James. How disappointing. You took Mr. Gibbs and made your way out. You occasionally took a hat and tried it on Jack, none stuck.

Jack smiled at your little mission and offered you his arm. "What a gentleman." You hooked your arm with his and walked all the way to the Pearl.

Once there, you heard a familiar voice behind you, "Jack Sparrow."

"Come to join the crew, lad? Welcome aboard," said Jack, not caring to turn around.

"I'm here to find the man I love," they said. You turned around, a little shocked. Elizabeth!

Jack paused. "I'm deeply flattered, son but my first and only love is right-"

"She means Will," you intervened. Jack turned around.

"Elizabeth," he said. You walked up and hugged her.

"Hide the rum, Lizzie's here" you called out to Jack. Elizabeth laughed but Jack was not so amused with such an unpleasant memory.

"You know these clothes do not flatter you," he said. "It should be a dress."

"Jack," she said. "I know Will came to find you." she turned to you. "Where is he?"

You looked down. "Will is, um, is now part of Davy Jone's crew. Guess who's fault that was."

"Davy Jones?" she said. You heard James throw up.

"Oh please," said James. "The captain of the Flying Dutchman?"

"Yes," you said bluntly.

"You look really awful. What are you doing here?" asked Jack, putting his arm around your shoulders.

"You hired him," you said.

"I can't help if your standards are lax," added James.

"You smell funny," said an offended Jack.

"Jack!" Jack turned to Elizabeth. "All I want is to find Will."

"Well..." He began.

"Are you certain? That's what you want most, more than anything?" you asked Elizabeth.

"Of course," she replied.

Jack caught on and said, "What you want is a way to save Will."

"And you have that?"

"There is a chest... of unknown size and origin."

"It contains the still beating heart of Davy Jones," added a passing Pintel and Ragetti.

"And whoever possesses that chest," continued Jack. "Possesses the leverage to command Jones to do whatever it is he or she wants. Including, saving brave William from his grim fate."

James walked up to you, "You don't actually belie-"

"No one asked for your opinion James." You were still mad. He looked hurt. Maybe you weren't as mad as you thought.

"How would we find it?" asked Elizabeth.

Jack took out his compass and placed it in Elizabeth's hands. James threw up again and you offered him water to wash it out.

"Mr. Gibbs," called out Jack.

"Cap'n" he responded.

"We have our heading."

"Finally."

Jack picked you up and onto the boat and into the seas you went.