36| Alone

Chapter 36: Alone (Archer's POV)

It was now the next day and we were all sitting in the backyard. Breakfast was happening outside today. 

"I hope last night everything went nicely with Carol," my mother said. 

"You have no idea," I mumbled under my breath. I looked up at her, lying. "It was fine." 

"Really?" Chloe deadpanned. 

Evelyn and I sighed in sync, both of our shoulders slumping in defeat. This girl gets on my last nerve and has been doing that since she got here. It's getting extremely agitating and I'm hanging on by my fingernails. The second she crosses the limit, she will be out of here. 

"What went wrong?" my grandmother asked. 

"Nothing, she got upset and overreacted," I sighed. 

"She didn't overreact. You quite literally kicked her out of the palace," Chloe argued. 

"I quite literally did what I had to do," I snapped back. 

"And he can quite literally do the same to you, watch your tone, please," my grandmother said. 

"But-" she started to argue. 

"Chloe," my mother said, shaking her head. She knows you just cannot argue with my grandmother. There's no point in trying. "Girls," my mother sighed. "I hope you all know about the ball where we introduce you all as formal candidates, yes?" 

"It's in three weeks," my grandmother added. 

"You all must start preparing," my mother suggested. 

"But... we still have three weeks left?" Mila frowned in confusion. 

"It will take a lot of fittings and trials for your dresses," my grandmother explained. "And we are getting them all from Cherie," she smiled at Evelyn who let out a soft chuckle, tucking her hair behind her ear. 

"Because we are doing so, do you reckon your mother would need your help, Evelyn?" my mother asked her directly. And this is the first time she's speaking to her directly in front of others. 

And the surprise on Evelyn's face was evident. "I suppose so," she said unsurely. 

"That would mean your fittings and dresses would be selected last," my mother nodded. 

"Actually, I don't need the fittings if my mother makes the dresses. I would more than likely get my dress first," Evelyn cleared her throat. 

I bit back a smile at the surprise on my mother's face. Just because she works there and her mother owns it does not mean she has to serve us first, she is just as much a princess as the others right now. 

"But because it's important, I can select my dress last," Evelyn shrugged, agreeing anyway. 

I turned to her. "You don't have to do that," I shook my head. 

"It's okay," she smiled. "Their dresses will take a lot more time." She narrowed her eyes at me. "You have a..." She pointed to the corner of my mouth. 

I grabbed the napkin, handing it to her. 

She hesitated, knowing that all eyes were on her. She wiped the corner of my mouth gently and then put the napkin on the table. "There," she cleared her throat awkwardly.  

.·:*¨ ✘♚✘ ¨*:·.

"And then?" I smirked. 

"And then what?" she chuckled, leaning against my bedroom wall.