6.07

THANKSGIVING EVE

THANKSGIVING EVE

"Look, I know it sucks I have to work on thanksgiving, but at least I'll be home at night!" Helena told Mark as she brushed her damp hair, getting ready for bed. "It'd be worse if I was working a double."

"I know, sweetheart. It's just... it'd be our first thanksgiving in the apartment, I was looking forward to it." Mark complained, moving around her as he put on some moisturizer.

"At least we'll have Christmas, right?" Helena asked, trying to look at the silver lining as she picked up her tooth brush. However, noticing her reflection in the mirror, with the pigeon necklace she wore every day, her face fell.

Bringing her hand up to it, Helena ran her thumb through the pendant, her eyes filling with tears.

Once Mark noticed it, he looked at her with worry, asking. "Hey, what's wrong, doll?"

"I just... it'll be the first holidays without him. And I really miss him, everyday. I really, really do..." Helena sighed, a tear running down her face as Mark hugged her from behind.

"I love you." He told her, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"I love you too." She answered, wiping away her tear as she moved to start brushing her teeth.

"You know what? I think I'll go in tomorrow, too. It's no good just lounging around waiting for you to get home." Mark smiled to the girl, leaving the bathroom to change into his pijamas.

——

THANKSGIVING DAY

A blond girl came into the ER, readjusting the bag on her shoulder as she looked around, a mix of anxiety and hope on her face.

Spotting Alex by the nurses station, she approached him, asking. "Excuse me? I'm looking for Dr. Mark Sloan."

"You see the dude that got burnt trying to deep fry a turkey?" Alex asked, waving toward a patient with a burn on his leg. "Sloan is the guy making him scream like a girl."

Approaching the man, the blond girl readjusted the bag on her shoulder once more, calling out. "Dr. Sloan?"

"Yeah?" Mark asked, looking up from the burn. As she noticed the resemblance the girl had to him, he furrowed his brows, almost studying the woman's face.

"So, this is a little weird but, hum... my name is Sloan Riley and, hum... my mom is Samantha Riley and... I'm pretty sure you're my dad!" Sloan let out, Mark widening his eyes in shock as Callie and Alex looked up from their work in the next bed.