Chapter Fourty Eight

I had been going in and out of consciousness for the past two days. I still couldn't open my eyes, but when I was coherent, I could hear every word, feel every touch, and wanted nothing more than to wake up and tell everyone that I was okay.

Everyone I cared about came to visit me, even some that I didn't care for. My grandmother would kick everyone out of the room when she visited, she'd sit beside me and stroke my hair, detailing all places we would go together once I woke up. Even in the state that I am, I had never felt closer to her.

My father didn't speak to me, which I understood. He spent most of his time yelling at my nurses about frivolous things that I could care less about. He didn't speak, but I could hear him cry. Most of the time it was muffled, but sometimes, loud sobs. It was the worst part of my coma, that, and hearing Callum cry.

My cousins visited, bringing some of my other relatives that I hadn't even met yet. Apparently my mother's side of the family formed search parties, looking for me for weeks.

Amy was here today, as she was everyday after school. Her commentary always lifted my spirits even though I couldn't respond or laugh at the outrageous things she'd say.

"So when exactly are you going to wake my friend up?" I heard Amy's voice say.

"Well she should be waking up very soon, as her medication has been reduced. But it's all up to Dylan at this point." The doctor responded.

"So she could wake up now? If I shook her or something?" She asked.

He laughed before saying, "Please do not shake her. She'll wake up at her own time, be patient."

"Okay fine." She grunted as she tucked my hair behind my ears.

I could hear shuffling before my doctor spoke again.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Painting her nails, so she looks cute when she wakes up." Amy responded.

Of course she was.

He chuckled again before finally leaving the room.

"So, are we thinking red or white?" She asked me.

White, I thought.

"Eh, you'd probably want white, but we're gonna give you a sultry red." She announced, with a grin I'm sure was plastered on her face.

As she painted my nails, the overwhelming smell of nail polish and acetone invaded my senses. I could feel her blow on my nails so that they would dry, and eventually she moved to my feet. As soon as she touched my toes, I felt ticklish, and wanted so badly to squirm and tell her to stop.

"Dylan?! Holy shit did you just move?!" She exclaimed. "Do it again!" She pushed.

She touched my feet again, this time, intentionally tickling me.

"Stop." I groaned, kicking my foot out at her.

I opened my eyes, instantly regretting it because of the brightness of the room.

"Dylan!" She jumped up, throwing her arms around me. Amy started to weep into my shoulder, trembling. "I missed you so much Dylan, you don't even know." She sobbed.

"You're hurting me." I said, my voice cracking. My throat was drier than anything I'd ever experienced. My bones ached, and my entire body was sore, head to toes.

She quickly got off of me.

"I missed you too." I whispered, my eyes tearing up as I looked at her.

She grabbed a bottle of water and held it in front of me. "Thirsty?" She smiled at me, teary-eyed.

I nodded, smiling back. I took the bottle from her and gently lifted it to my lips. As the water went down my throat, I closed my eyes and moaned, grateful to finally be fully hydrated.

Amy grabbed the remote that was beside my bed, and clicked a button over and over.

"What're you doing?" I said, my voice extremely hoarse.

"Getting a nurse or something, they need to know you're awake! Oh my God, we have to call Callum and your Dad! Oh, Nessa and Marcus too, she'll kill me if I didn't call." She said, hurriedly pulling out her cellphone.

A nurse walked into the room, her eyes widened when she saw me. "You're awake. That's amazing." She smiled.

I cleared my throat to speak to her and grimaced at the pain I suddenly felt. She waved her hand, stopping me.

"Just relax, I'm going to page your doctor." She said.

I nodded, smiling back at her.

Amy went into the hallway to make her calls, and my doctor who introduced himself as Dr Hines came in to examine me.

"Do you remember how you got here Dylan?" He asked.

I nodded. "I was in a car accident. I think.. I think I was drunk. Am I in trouble?" I asked, now realizing that I could go to jail for driving under the influence.

He smiled at me sadly, and shook his head. "Of course you're not. You were escaping your captors Dylan. Everyone is just happy that you've been found."

I let out a sigh of relief.

He listed all of my injuries to me and how long it would take for my body to heal and go back to normal. Apparently Kelly's torture had done a number on my health.

"I also requested a psych consult for you because of everything you went through. Would you be comfortable with that?"

"I guess." I said, my voice cracking again.

He turned his back to me and poured a cup of water, handing it to me.

"Thank you." I said.

"Of course. You need to stay hydrated. Lunch has just past, but I'm going to send up some food for you. You must be very hungry." He said.

"Starving." I replied.

He nodded. "I'll send it up right away then. If you need anything else, call for your nurse, and I'll be back later to check up on you."

"Okay, thank you so much Dr Hines. For everything."

He smiled at me and patted my hand before he left the room. I sunk into my hospital bed feeling mentally drained. This whole situation was starting to take a toll on me. More than I even realized.

"Someone wants to speak to you." Amy announced, as she emerged back into the room.

I knew it had to be Callum.

"I'll give you some privacy." She whispered as she handed me her phone and walked back out.

I slowly brought the cellphone to my ear, listening to the ragged breathing coming out of the man I love.

"Cal?" I said softly. I held my breath as I anticipated hearing his voice. My eyes were blurry from tears that I soon let out. I'd been waiting for this moment for what felt like forever.

"Dyl." He finally said. "I'm coming to you right now."

The determination in his tone was evident. I could also tell he was holding a lot in and was trying to be strong for me. Though, he didn't need to be.

"I'll be waiting." I said to him, gently wiping my tears away.

I'd always wait for him.