Chapter 9

I didn't open my eyes even as sleep left me. I felt like I was floating on a cloud. Happy feelings ran through my stomach all the way to the tips of my fingers. Of course, that was all before the recent events crashed through my dreams and left me shaken like a leaf as I sat up, blood rushing down from my head and making everything go black for a second.

We had fallen asleep on the couch. And by we, I meant Cage and I.

Oh no.

Cage was snoring away next to me. His head rested on my bare lap. My pajama shorts had ridden up. I felt my stomach turn a cartwheel in a way I had never been able to as a kid. His stubble felt weird on my skin, a rough feel that left me itchy. On the contrary, his hair was really soft. And I knew this because I was running my fingers through them until I realized how creepy it was and stopped.

My ankle was wrapped in thick bandages and felt stiff. It didn't hurt as much. The thought of Cage doing something so sweet was strange, but it also made me cringe at the thought of him seeing my feet. I hated my feet. My toes were too big.

One of the advantages of waking up first was that I was welcome to do anything I wanted to Cage. I would have drawn a penis on his forehead except I was too scared and also, I didn't have a Sharpie.

So I did what anyone would do.

I shoved him off me. As a fellow heavy sleeper, I knew how horrible it was to be woken up so suddenly and so surprisingly. That's why I considered alarm clocks a creation from the seventh circle of hell itself.

Cage fell off the couch, but he was back up in an instant. His black hair was all ruffled up and his green eyes were furiously glaring at me. I saw his red lips move in a colourful trail of curse words. In all honesty, it was utterly adorable. Everything except how angry he was with me, of course.

"God damn, November." Cage muttered. He still wasn't completely recovered from being woken up. He rubbed his eyes like a child. I stayed on the couch, trying to hide my smirk. "Did you have to do that? It wasn't necessary. Shit, that's the last time I'll ever fall asleep next to you."

He frowned at me and turned away, cursing softly.

"Where are you going?" I asked curiously when he disappeared around the corner, further into his home. Quickly, I jumped up and followed after Cage. "Wait, don't go, I'm scared. I'm sorry. It wasn't necessary, I know. But it was fun. I've never seen someone be so out of it." I chuckled. "Cage, you should have seen your face. You looked like you just saw-"

Startled, I stopped talking. Cage had reappeared suddenly.

"November, I don't know how much you know about me." He said. "But you have to understand what I do and who I am. I don't play nice. I am not a good person. I've done things that make high security prisoners look like amateurs. What happened last night wasn't your fault. You were just at the wrong place at the wrong time."

"What?" I snapped. "I was in a restaurant parking lot. In my car. That you destroyed. I was minding my own business. I think it's the other way around, Cage. You were at the wrong place at the wrong time. You killed a police dog!" Anger furled up when I remembered that. "And then you steal my car and have the audacity to imply that what happened was because of me. I know what you're capable of. I watch the news, you know."

"Great." Cage growled. "Then get dressed. We have somewhere to be."

"Somewhere to be?" I repeated with anger. "You mean you have somewhere to be. Cage, don't drag me any further into this. You keep on doing your illegal activities and I'll just, you know, go back to my life. In Ivey."