𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

All that echoed through my mind and heart as I packed up my tiny apartment in Kitami, was how much I loved this place. My refuge, my escape from my parents and the rest of the Sohma family. For three years I haven't heard from any of them, from anyone back in Tokyo. I was free.

"She passed away in the early hours of dawn."

But that's not the case now. They told me I had to come home from the funeral, that it was time I grew up. He's been waiting faithfully for me to come back for the wedding. Since we were teenagers, Hanako and I were betrothed. It would be for the best that I married someone in the Inside Family. They would keep a good eye on me, that's for sure.

Rain rushed hard against the train windows as we reached Tokyo. I think I would have preferred walking in the rain than driving back to the Estate with Hanako. Who insisted on picking me up. "Why does he even bother acting like we're a couple?" I mumble, scrolling aimlessly through my phone. He's nothing to me, but a pain.

"The train will be arriving in Jushukin Station in 10 minutes. Please make sure you have all of your luggage before exiting the train." A computer voice says overheard. Ten more minutes until it's over. Ten minutes, enjoy them.

There are so many things I've thought about on this train ride. So many ideas and memories to keep me busy from the looming future. But now, all there is, is a sad silence. My mind can't seem to comprehend anything else. Just the painful realization that I'm stuck. I could have stayed, in Kitami. But Hanako's parents would have cut my college money. So I'd have to take up a bunch of part-time jobs to pay the bills, and what a life that would have been. I couldn't have kept running from it.

Someone, a long time ago, once told me there was only so much running we could do before we tired out. That eventually we'd have to face what we were running from, whether we liked it or not. I guess that time is now. Clinching my jaw, the train slows join as it comes into a busy and bustling station. How I expect to find Hanako in this crowd, I have no clue. I speed-dial his number and place it to my ear as I drag my carry-on off the over-head luggage rack. "Pick up, pick up."

"You've reached Hanako Sohma's phone. If I'm not picking up, I've either lost my phone or am busy. Try calling again later and leave a message." The dial tone rings in my ears as his message ends. He had one job, one job, and he's failing at it.

How on earth does he think he'll be a good husband. Sighing I make my way through the crowd, continuing to dial, and re-dial his number, hoping I'll see him or he'll pick up. Finally, I give up and call my Father. My jaw tightens as he picks up and responds. "Yes, Yuihiso? What is it?"

"Uh hi, Father, Hanako isn't at the station." I bite my lower lip, feeling the skin crack.

"What do you want me to do about it?" Frustration beings to stem its way through my body.

"Well, I was hoping you could maybe come to pick me up? Or send someone else to pick me up?" He's groaning over the phone, I can feel his unnecessary frustration towards me rising. What a lousy life I have, lousy parents, lousy fiancé.

"Figure something out yourself, Yuihiso. I'm busy." He quickly hangs up, leaving ringing once more in my ear.

Is there nothing good that's coming from me moving back? Will anything good actually come into being from this?