Chapter Four

By the time they were done Della called them down to dinner. Sophie had gotten to know Biana a bit better. Biana loved dresses and makeup while Sophie liked jeans, sweatshirts, and leggings so it wasn't hard figuring out what Sophie and Biana wanted. The hard part was trying stuff on and going though then. Sophie changed into a green sweatshirt that was a bit too big on her with black leggings. Biana wore a teal simple dress that was off the shoulder and went perfectly with her eyes.

Sophie grabbed her crutches and they walked down together, chatting as they walked in the kitchen to find two trays of baked ziti with a tray of all sorts of fruit and vegetables. Biana cut out a slice of the baked ziti after she got a plate and silver wear for both of them. Sophie got hers while Biana got her fruits and veggies. Sophie noticed there was mostly strawberries on the plate.

"I'll meet you at the table okay?" Biana said as she walked over to the dining room to eat with the others.

"Yeah, I'll be there in a second." Sophie gave her a small smile as she left. Struggling to pick up some of the broccoli and hold her plate at the same. Fitz and Keefe walked in just as she finished.

"Hey Sophie," Fitz said as he got a plate from the cabinet. "How are you?"

"Good." Sophie replied as she finished getting her fruit. 

"I'll see you guys in there?" She got her crutches in a comfortable position and tried to find a good way to hold the plate.

"Here, let me help you with that." Said Keefe rushing I've to Sophie and grabbing the plate from her.

"Thanks" Sophie sighed and looked down, blushing. She started hobbling to the kitchen.

Alden was talking with a serious look across his face. "We need to be carful about this. Only three people go, get as much as you can, bring back anyone that you can find, be as fast as possible."

"Their discussing who should go out for supplies." Keefe whispered beside her as her set down her plate in the middle of two empty seats. She put her crutches against the wall and sat down. Keefe took the seat on her left side as Fitz came in and sat down on her right.

"Who's going?" Biana asked from across Sophie.

" I'll go, and Fitz if your up to it, I want you to come to, you did good last time." Alden suggested. Fitz nodded silently in agreement.

Sophie could tell that no one wanted to go. She could also see that Alden was in charge of it. "Elwin needs to stay, we can't risk our doctor." Alden continued. "Biana I want you to stay here and help your mother okay?" Biana also nodded along. Though Sophie didn't know why she needed to take care of her, she didn't ask questions.

We'll be leaving in a week so Keefe, if you're willing to come, you would be a lot of help.

Keefe opened his mouth, then closed it. "I- umm... I mean, I guess- I could go." Sophie interrupted him.

Alden looked shocked for a second before put back on his serious face. "Sophie, you're still recovering, and you just got to safety I don't think it's a good idea for you to be out there.""I'll be fine in a week, right Elwin?" Sophie looked over to the end of the table towards Elwin for approval.

"Well, that's the plan, but if you're not better then you are not going." Elwin started eating so Sophie assumed he was done talking.

"See? I'll be fine. Plus I know the outside better then any of you." Sophie said.

"We know the area just fine." Fitz argued.

"Do you know where all the traps are? How about the paths? Houses? The waterfall? The warning lights?" Sophie listed off all the most important things her family and some other family's made up for emergencies or warnings. Though she had no idea what happened to those families, she knew they were a lot of help.

"What traps?" Della asked, a crease forming between her brow.

"Some people set out traps a while ago, it makes noise so they know when their coming or they can distract them." Sophie explained.

"Do you call the monsters by a name or just, them?" Biana asked.

"I think they're called Death Angels." Sophie recalled reading one of her dads newspapers. They were named Death Angles when they attacked first, killing thousands of people.

"So, do you think I can go?" Sophie asked Alden, looking at him hopefully. He hesitated for a second before giving in."Fine, but only if Elwin gives you the all clear." Alden compromised. He dug into his food, ending the decision.

After dinner ended Sophie went upstairs to her new bedroom. She wasn't sure why she wanted to go out so badly. She should want to stay inside. But she just wanted to make sure, needed to make sure that her family was gone. That she couldn't save them.

Guilt crawled up her throat as she recalled that day.

Beep.

Giving the toy to Amy. Winking at her. Amy's scream. Gone.

Beep.

Her moms sobs. Her Dads screams. Gone.

Beep.

Run. Their bloody faces turning towards her. Run. Her Mom tripping. Gone.

RUN SOPHIE!

"Sophie. Sophie! Can you hear me?" Someone was shaking her. When did she end up on the floor? Why was she curled up in a ball? When did she start crying? Who is this person?

"Are you okay?" Sophie's vision cleared enough to see blonde hair and a body crouching next to hers.

Keefe.

Posted- 1/31/21

Word count- 921

Super short chapter today, tomorrows will be longer, I promise! Aright goodbye loves!