vii | the gates of avalon

"don't pretend like you don't have feelings for her. how could you just forget her as soon as sophia bats her eyelashes at you?"

[1.7 — The Gates of Avalon]

"And where are you off to, My Lady?"

Lia smiled as Sir Leon joined her side, falling into step with her down the hallway. She had a now-empty basket, which had been previously filled with the deliveries she had to make around the castle. She had just dropped off a stronger sleeping draught, as requested by Morgana.

"I am just heading back to Gaius. I've finished dropping off everyone's orders for the day," she explained. "And what of your schedule, Sir Leon?"

"Just waiting for Arthur to return from hunting. We need to make the new schedule for the guard patrol for the next few weeks," he told her.

"Ah yes, Merlin was complaining last night about having to get up earlier to accompany him," Lia said, smiling. "They probably won't catch anything. Merlin is far too loud and clumsy for hunting."

"Oh, have faith," Leon said, grinning. "Maybe Merlin will bring you back a tasty squirrel."

Lia cringed at the thought of eating a squirrel, making Leon laugh. "I do hope he doesn't. Or maybe we can sneak it into Gaius' stew for dinner without him noticing."

"Poor Gaius, to have to live with the two of you—"

Leon was cut off by the very man they had brought up. Gaius was walking towards them and he perked up when he noticed Lia at Leon's side.

"Ah, Lia, perfect timing," he said, joining her side. "Arthur and Merlin have just returned from their hunting trip. Apparently, they rescued some travelers from bandits. We are to go to the council chambers to see if they need medical attention."

"Very well. Good day, Leon," Lia said, smiling at the knight.

Then she and Gaius made their way to the council chambers. They had to wait around for a few minutes, as Arthur, Merlin, and their guests had not arrived. Lia noted that Morgana wasn't present, but that did not surprise her. Given that she had requested an extra dose of her sleeping draught which told her that Morgana had probably had a particularly bad set of nightmares. Gwen was likely with her and making sure she got some rest.

Eventually, Arthur and Merlin entered the council chamber with two people in tow. It was a man and a young girl, who looked about Lia's age. They both wore nice traveling cloaks and held wonderfully ornate walking staffs. The girl was beautiful, Lia noted, in a nice yellow dress with jewelry woven into her hair. Lia couldn't seem to stop herself from nervously tucking one of her own blonde curls behind her ear, which had fallen from her pink ribbon's hold.

"My name is Aulfric, heir to Tír-Mòr. This is my daughter, Sophia," the man, Aulfric, introduce. They both bowed respectfully to the King.

"You're a long way from home," Uther noted. "What brings you to Camelot?"